No. In guitar terms it's usually the part of an amplifier that shapes your sound and makes it sound more, er, guitar-like. The power amp then makes this signal louder.

Stop being such a lazy git and look it up on Google or Wikipedia
Quote by Acquiescence

That's more than just a pre-amp. It's a programmable tube pre-amp which is intended to produce Marshall amp tone at a level which is compatible with most rack mount and recording gear, though from the comments it would seem most people were using it as a front end for their own amps. It could be used as a DI box, a tube based amp modeler, a headphone practice amp, or a booster.

The term "pre-amp" is generic. It refers to the first stages of an amplifier, usually designed to increase voltage to a level sufficient to drive a power amplifier stage. It's use has become more widespread, though. I've seen it used to refer to everything that isn't the final power amp stage, such as the unity gain amplifier that drives a passive EQ chain, or the power amp that drives a reverb tank.
Quote by amp_surgeon
a tube based amp modeler

How is it an amp modeler? I thought it was just an amp. The channels might be "modeled" after something, but then again the early Marshalls were "modeled" after Bassmen or something like that.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
How is it an amp modeler? I thought it was just an amp. The channels might be "modeled" after something, but then again the early Marshalls were "modeled" after Bassmen or something like that.

Look at the manual for it. The tube stages are controlled by a MIDI processor, and can be reconfigured to mimic the front end of a variety of amplifiers. These configurations can be saved as MIDI patches. It comes with 26 preloaded patches, ranging from clean, bluesy, crunchy, etc. It lets you select a basic pre-amp configuration, and then select all of the control and knob settings you would use with the front end of a real amp, and save the result as a patch.
Quote by amp_surgeon
Look at the manual for it. The tube stages are controlled by a MIDI processor, and can be reconfigured to mimic the front end of a variety of amplifiers. These configurations can be saved as MIDI patches. It comes with 26 preloaded patches, ranging from clean, bluesy, crunchy, etc. It lets you select a basic pre-amp configuration, and then select all of the control and knob settings you would use with the front end of a real amp, and save the result as a patch.

Hmm, interesting. I didn't know Marshall could come up with stuff like that.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.