Hi all,

just got a quick question or two on string changing and other stuff.

When I got my Ibanez I broke the E-string (ahem) so got a new set and replaced them one by one. AFTER I'd done this, it occurred to me that I could have cleaned the fretboard (it was a 2nd hand bass). Would I be an idiot to take all the strings off and clean it? Would the strings go back on ok?

So then I read a post a few days ago about strings and it said to change strings every three to four months, which seemed a lot. But if I only play for about half an hour a day, an hour tops, always wash my hands, etc., is less often ok?

I suppose I could just wait till I change my strings again to clean the fretboard...

And is there any way of identifying what strings are on my Peavey? Like the ends are black...? What does everyone use to clean their fretboards?

Thanks!
Ibanez SRX700
Peavey Grind 4 BXP NTB
Last edited by mojobanana at May 10, 2008,
Quote by mojobanana
Hi all,

just got a quick question or two on string changing and other stuff.

When I got my Ibanez I broke the E-string (ahem) so got a new set and replaced them one by one. AFTER I'd done this, it occurred to me that I could have cleaned the fretboard (it was a pre-loved bass). Would I be an idiot to take all the strings off and clean it? Would the strings go back on ok?

So then I read a post a few days ago about strings and it said to change strings every three to four months, which seemed a lot. But if I only play for about half an hour a day, an hour tops, always wash my hands, etc., is less often ok?

I suppose I could just wait till I change my strings again to clean the fretboard...

And is there any way of identifying what strings are on my Peavey? Like the ends are black...? What does everyone use to clean their fretboards?

Thanks!

WE DON'T DEAL WITH YOUR ODD PERVERSIONS HERE!!!!

And for cleaning, I use Lemon Oil. It cleans well, and it smells nice .

Doubleplus good!
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Dont be a lazy fecker and get them strings back off and fret board cleaned.
and whoever told you taht you should change bass strings every 3 months is crazy.
I've had the same jazz strings on for a year and they still sound awesome.
Quote by alkalineweeman
Dont be a lazy fecker and get them strings back off and fret board cleaned.
and whoever told you taht you should change bass strings every 3 months is crazy.
I've had the same jazz strings on for a year and they still sound awesome.

A year?

I can barely stand a month. Although I do play about 4 hours a day...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.