Whats the best Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal for getting sounds from Randy Rhoads to Kerry King?

I think a Boss Metal Core or a Digitech Death Metal would be good but i really dont know.

Please help!

boss HM-2?

i think someones selling one in gear ads
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Keeley modded MT-2.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
DO NOT Buy a death metal pedal, I had one and it was terrible, super heavy but no range.
Get an electro harmonix metal muff. its got a cool tone and i personally think its better than the metal core or death metal pedal. And its got a boost button which gives it a heavier metal tone.
i agree with I'MNOOPID. death metal = meh. metal master =
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Randyrocks123
Whats the best Heavy Metal Distortion Pedal for getting sounds from Randy Rhoads to Kerry King?

I think a Boss Metal Core or a Digitech Death Metal would be good but i really dont know.

Please help!

I wouldnt get either of those pedals. I would choose a between a DS-1 or an HM-2.
HM 2 isnt bad, but the DS 1 doesn't suit heavier metal, but its perfect for grunge and alt. music, if i were u i would go with the metal muff or the HM 2
ZVEX Box of Metal?

Please do not buy a metal muff. It sounded too tinny and harsh to my ears.
Line 6 Uber Metal, perhaps?

Line 6 makes good pedals.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Krank Distortius Maximus? It's all subjective to what ind of heavy Metal you want to play and also, what amp you have.
I have a metal muff and metal master. THe metal muff gets plenty heavy and still remains crisp and clear, the metal master gets pretty heavy but just sounds loose and muddy.
I find that pedals are not the place to look for great distortion; it comes from amps. That said, the metal muff is a very good and versatile pedal.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
i've heard good things about MXR distortions. like the distortion+

some of my friends like the dimebag one if you're into that. never heard or tried it myself personally.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
i've heard good things about MXR distortions. like the distortion+

some of my friends like the dimebag one if you're into that. never heard or tried it myself personally.

Owned the distortion + and modified verison.. Was pretty horrible...
The MI Audio Crunch Box has a ton of gain in it. Not sure if there's really enough for br00t@lZ metal but certainly enough for hard rock tones
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by greggybhoy
Krank Distortius Maximus? It's all subjective to what ind of heavy Metal you want to play and also, what amp you have.

That Krank pedal is crazy expensive!
Quote by TheEsupremacy

but also crazy awesome, id imagine
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
they're not really 'heavy metal distoriton' they're more like heavily overdriven marshall amp plus OD on top of it. ur not gonna get anything that sounds close to them on distortion pedals cept maybe the jackhammer. but seriously...it will sound so nasty after a while and u'll hate it.

what you want is a british voiced mid/hi gain amp plus an OD pedal. THAT will get you some saturated and aggresive crunchy distortion.

only one other person here has mentioned what i did and i'm glad they did so i don't feel like such a loner. what's ur set up rite now? wut are u using rite now that you can't achieve ur tone? and what about it exactly is lacking that you can't get it?

if the reason ur getting a pedal rather than amp is b/c of budget, then you will find out sooner or later that it's worth every penny to have a nice amp. i took the short and easy route earlier in my guitar playing years and all my pedals and old amps pretty much sounded sterile again after the one week new fever wore off the pedals.

what's ur price range? and like i said tell me what ur using now and why it isn't satifying ur needs.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
they're not really 'heavy metal distoriton' they're more like heavily overdriven marshall amp plus OD on top of it. ur not gonna get anything that sounds close to them on distortion pedals cept maybe the jackhammer. but seriously...it will sound so nasty after a while and u'll hate it.

what you want is a british voiced mid/hi gain amp plus an OD pedal. THAT will get you some saturated and aggresive crunchy distortion.

only one other person here has mentioned what i did and i'm glad they did so i don't feel like such a loner. what's ur set up rite now? wut are u using rite now that you can't achieve ur tone? and what about it exactly is lacking that you can't get it?

if the reason ur getting a pedal rather than amp is b/c of budget, then you will find out sooner or later that it's worth every penny to have a nice amp. i took the short and easy route earlier in my guitar playing years and all my pedals and old amps pretty much sounded sterile again after the one week new fever wore off the pedals.

what's ur price range? and like i said tell me what ur using now and why it isn't satifying ur needs.

I assume I'm the other guy you're talking about? Yeah, pretty much all "distortion pedals" are a temporary remedy untill you get a good amp. Unfortunately, there are few tube amps that are voiced for high gain in lower price ranges.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Try a Boss Metal Zone, its a sweet pedal.
Music is a life long battle, Your always fighting to be better then the best

Equipment:
Schecter S1-Elite
Schecter Tempest (Black With Gold Hardware)
Jackson RR5
Ovation LX Acoustic
B-52 LS 100 Half Stack
Boss Metal Zone Distortion Pedal
^^tru that. but i'm tryin to find out what his budget is exactly....if ur gonna spend over $80 on a pedal, that's a good fraction that can be saved for a better amp. you get what you pay for it's as simple as that. ur not gonna get great high gain amp distortion w/o shellin' out around $500 give or take some depending on whether or not it's used.

but it don't matter how many times you advise people not to cheap out and take the 'quick remedy' (excellent word choice btw, i'll be sure to use that in most future threads similar to this) they see the price tag and get new-gear-fever and just can't help it. most have to find out the hard way. i have and have also learned from it. though i'm still not perfectly immune to new-gear-fever LMAO.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by TheEsupremacy

since when is $150 CRAZY EXPENSIVE??? Have you even looked at the ZVex box of metal like some have suggested? now THOSE are expensive for a pedal.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
I'll suggest the ZVex box of metal or the Rocktron Silver dragon, both are quite nice. I have to agree though that depending on what you're working with another amp is sometimes the best option for something at the opposite end of the tonal spectrum.
Quote by slash_rocks2005

but it don't matter how many times you advise people not to cheap out and take the 'quick remedy' (excellent word choice btw, i'll be sure to use that in most future threads similar to this) they see the price tag and get new-gear-fever and just can't help it. most have to find out the hard way. i have and have also learned from it. though i'm still not perfectly immune to new-gear-fever LMAO.

It really is a quick remedy. Most distortion pedals are quite thin sounding. There are however, a few pedals I can reccomend, along with how to use them properly, and artists who use them who have good tone (to me) .

The MXR distortion + is a good pedal, Randy Rhoads used it. However, to get it to sound like Rhoads, a 10 band EQ pedal is a must. Most people think if you turn the gain up and step on it = Rhoads tone, what youve got to do is crank the volume, keep the gain around 9 o clock to 11 o clock, and then use the EQ right after it to dial in the tone.

After that, the Boss DS-1 is an okay pedal, not great, but a lot less sterile that other pedals. This one can be used by itself. Steve Vai likes this pedal, but he uses the Robert Keely modified version, so you might want to look into that.

As far as pedals to avoid, DO NOT get the Boss MT-2. It is impossible to get a good sounding, on-scopped tone on that thing.

What you really need, however, is a good amp.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
the metal muff while very good isnt really that heavy.it will give you a close crazy train, and maybe raining blood but id say its more of light metallica (past the black album), not to say it isnt great, i love it but if its just metal maybe look somewhere else (and the boost doest do anythinng..or atleast anything good)
I have a Damage Control Demonizer and it is thicker and more responsive than any other pedal I've tried. Expensive, yes, but IMO it's well worth it.

And to the people saying good distortion can only come from the amp. I don't know if I agree with that because what can the circuitry in a pedal not do that the circuitry in an amps preamp section can?

It's just that most distortion pedals are cheap solutions to getting a heavy sound.