Poll: which is better
Poll Options
View poll results: which is better
Ibanez RGT24DX
11 19%
Scheter Hellraiser C-1 FR
46 81%
Voters: 57.
I'm looking to play all kinds of metal/shred/Prog metal. So which is the overall better guitar? I'm leading toward the hellraiser, but would like to get others opinions as well.
the hellraiser, because the RGT42DX has the Edge III bridge, plus its got Ibanez's stock pickups...the Hellraiser has an Original Floyd Rose and EMG pickups.
Quote by Eric 666
the hellraiser, because the RGT42DX has the Edge III bridge, plus its got Ibanez's stock pickups...the Hellraiser has an Original Floyd Rose and EMG pickups.

+100 This says it all
Id go with Shecter because i would never invest 350€ in a guitar for it to hold tune/sound good.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

7-String guitars are badass!
Schecter for sound, features and looks. Especially if you're playing progressive metal, you don't want an RG. That would be like getting up on stage and saying: "Hey, we are nerds, we play difficult music, we think playing fast will make us become the new Dream Theater, we don't want to separate ourselves in any way from any other band in the genre, and no, we don't have anything original about us".

Not bagging on RG players, I'm just a bit fed up with all these personality-less shred wannabes with RG's.
I don't think there's such a thing as an RGT24DX... i assume you mean the RGT42DX?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGT42DX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512358

Anyway, in that price range I'd suggest the S series over the RG's, especially if you're swapping out the pickups. How about this?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S520EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518873
Ya I meant RGt42DX. I didn't catch the mistake. But I think most people know what guitar I'm talking about.
Hands down the schecter.

Ibanez RG series are cardboard guitars with twig necks IMHO
Quote by Eric 666

+1000000
Quote by Aziraphale
Schecter for sound, features and looks. Especially if you're playing progressive metal, you don't want an RG. That would be like getting up on stage and saying: "Hey, we are nerds, we play difficult music, we think playing fast will make us become the new Dream Theater, we don't want to separate ourselves in any way from any other band in the genre, and no, we don't have anything original about us".

Not bagging on RG players, I'm just a bit fed up with all these personality-less shred wannabes with RG's.

The guys from BTBAM don't play 00ber fast...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude

Neither of them play RG's, they play S- series guitars.
Quote by aznrockerdude

So you can name one band that doesn't? That's not my point at all. My point was that seeing someone playing progressive/shred metal on an RG is about as exciting as seeing a man with a cowboy hat at the Country Music Awards.
Last edited by Aziraphale at May 10, 2008,
t3h H3llr@zer for teh winz

But seriously buy the hellraiser.
Gear

93 Jackson Dinky Professional Reverse
98 Jackson Kelly KE3

Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
Quote by aznmetalhead93
Get the Hellraiser if you like thick necks. Get the Ibanez if you like thin necks.

It's definately not thick, it's not ultra-thin like the Ibanez but it's nowhere near the likes of a telecaster or les paul. I never reacted to a thickness-issue with it, or any other schecter I've tried, and I've never felt limited speed-wise on them. And I don't have large hands.
Hellraiser dude..........I got an Ibanez atm and I'm not a fan of the ultra thin neck

I'm going to buy soon a Schecter C-1 FR or the Hellraiser C-1 FR (In white)
My Gear:

-Ibanez SZ120

-Ibanez AW40ECE Acoustic

-RMS 80Watt Amp

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You can make that in a day. Give blowjobs in your school bathroom for 10 bucks.

That's how I paid the downpayment on my car.
hellraser.. it pisses on the rgt42dx
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
the C-1 Hellraiser for the win. I am mainly an ibanez fan...But the C-1 just out class's the ibanez by a long shot. The OFR will give you good tuning stability, the EMG pick ups are sweet. Overall a good and might I add beautiful guitar.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)
The RGT42dx is WAY WAY WAY better sounding than any shecter and most guitars that I have ever tried. The ibanez feels more comfortable, has a 5 piece neck. And its also sexier. RGs are not just for shred, they are just a lot more comfortable.
Try them, or atleast something similar. Keeping in mind the RGT is neck through, so you need to try an Ibanez with that, it does feel different and IMO very nice and slick. The RGT is great for me, but definitely benefits from a good set up and pickup change. Keep that in mind.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

The rgt necktrhough is way slicker than any other companies. Try it out if you wont believe me. I have one pictured in my sig. It should not even be compared to any shecter. The ibanez is in a completely different level.
Quote by nyandres
The rgt necktrhough is way slicker than any other companies. Try it out if you wont believe me. I have one pictured in my sig. It should not even be compared to any shecter. The ibanez is in a completely different level.

I do agree the RGT is good in feel but the pickups and tremolo is a complete downside on that one. Have you tried a shecter? Because component wise it ****s all over the RGT in this...but it is also 100€ more.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Quote by phenom1991
I do agree the RGT is good in feel but the pickups and tremolo is a complete downside on that one. Have you tried a shecter? Because component wise it ****s all over the RGT in this...but it is also 100€ more.

If you look at the RGT in my sig, I have better hardware than the shecter. The hardware and pickups is upgradeable. The feel isnt. That guitar in my sig shows why the RG is a good choice. It can always be upgraded more and more. The woodwork which can never be upgraded is already perfect with the RGT. I do a lot of stretches and the thinner neck helps avoid on really uncomfortable stretches. Im talking 1st to 7th fret stretches. On the shecter doing that is painful.

I have indeed tried shecter. They have good hardware, but I rather spend a lil more in the long run upgrading a physycally better guitar.
I've heard the Other schecters are worse than Hellraiser though...i dunno if theres any truth to it but. Yeah well it's still in a different budget for a new floyd rose/edge pro and new pickups so it will be like 600€+350€ in the end. Then he could just have bought a Prestige RG

And your RGT is beautiful...i agree on that one full heartedly. A bit too Vai-ish for my taste but its really nice.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

I am indeed referring to the hell raiser. It's a beautiful guitar. Really really beautiful, not as elegant as the RGT. That type of of money can buy you an RG prestige too. The neck on the prestige owns both for some people. I still prefer the wizard II.

I work in the same block as the guitar center in union square. I have tried all the schecters they have in there, and they do have a C1 hellraise with an OFR. Althought i prefer thin necks, for some reason I think I may get a thick neck guitar for rhythm, with a tuno matic bridge. But a floyd rose guitar being a lead guitar I feel should have the thin neck. The lead work I do has lots of stretches and such. Tuno matic makes palm muting sound beefier too. RGT42dx owns and I have a tutorial on my sig to install the OFR on it, so you dont need to pay for routing..
Yeah i do think it pwns but it does so AFTER the 350€. The feel is great but the tuning stability on my friends Edge 3 i horrendous. The pickups aint THAT bad tho...I just can't think myself putting that much money onto such guitar when i can get a virtually better in every aspect guitar without having to spend time modding that. I don't blame you tho...the guitar is a looker.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer

Quote by phenom1991
Yeah i do think it pwns but it does so AFTER the 350€. The feel is great but the tuning stability on my friends Edge 3 i horrendous. The pickups aint THAT bad tho...I just can't think myself putting that much money onto such guitar when i can get a virtually better in every aspect guitar without having to spend time modding that. I don't blame you tho...the guitar is a looker.

350 euros? $200 dollars is all it cost. The only defect is the bridge, and the Edg3 III isnt even that bad. As for the pickups, the INF I and II are actually very good pickups for rocks and the like. People just hate on them, cause they are not of dimarzio, sd, or emg brand. And EMGs suck.

I can't think of any guitar under 2k that beats my RGT42dx. It's mahogany, 5 piece neck, a feel that is up there with anything at any price range and the top of the line pickups and hardware. It cost me $400 total to upgrade, and that is considering that I payed a higher price to get the parts in gold, and considering i upgraded parts i did not need to upgrade, like the strap locks, mounting rings, tuners (althought the new tuners are probably some of the best), knobs.
Last edited by nyandres at May 13, 2008,
Yeah but without upgrades it will sound good but it wont keep tune if you want to go steve vai or use it a bit more t han just a couple of times a day. Also the EDGE 3 is a bitch to setup(talking of experience here). I can think of plenty of guitars under 2K that are bitching good but that is your opinion and i respect it. Also i think that you need to give a bit thinking room because your opinion is not automaticly fact...some might like schecter neck some wont..saem with ibanez. I like it but i can't own one since its too thin. I use Jackson and the neck is pretty wide but i like it that way. It's very thin though.
Guitars:
-Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
-Ibanez MTM2
Amplifiers and Cabinets:
-Peavey StudioPro
-Randall RH50T Head
-Behringer 4x12 cab
Pedals:
-Ibanez WD-7 Wah
-Boss SD-1
-MXR 10 Band Equalizer