Well, I've come across this little problem that seems to be messing with my accuraccy.

When I strike the string, my pick hits it, and instead of a straight motion, it does more of a jumping motion. I looked at it and it looks like my hand vibrates up and down. I really think this is messing with my accuraccy. I sorta think it is because of caffine but I'm not sure. (I drink a lot of pop [sadly])
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

stop drinking pop. even if it doesn't make a difference in your playing, it will make a difference in your health. that's my 2 cents.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
I know... I've been trying to quit drinking it for a long time. It's esier said than done. Espesially when you're parents can't go 10 minute without one.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Quote by guitarist10
Well, I've come across this little problem that seems to be messing with my accuraccy.

When I strike the string, my pick hits it, and instead of a straight motion, it does more of a jumping motion. I looked at it and it looks like my hand vibrates up and down. I really think this is messing with my accuraccy. I sorta think it is because of caffine but I'm not sure. (I drink a lot of pop [sadly])

well stop drinking pop.

but i dont think thats whats causing this. its probably not a bad thing either. eric johnson does pretty much what you described. he calls it the bounce technique and he feels you get a better tone. i dont think that you could really play 100% straight with no bouncing involved. if you did, it would probably sound really choppy. i think maybe you are keeping your hand too lose. lose is good, but if there isnt any control then its useless.

how much of the pick do you use? try using less pick. like try to use just the tip. use just enough to make a clear note. that way its easier to play accross strings and will help with speed.
Unless it's a specific effect you're trying to achieve and have control over it, it's
probably not a good thing.

It sounds to me like you're reacting TO the string rather than WITH it. A relaxed
pick stroke feels like it goes right thru the string and can stop immediately on
the other side with complete control. Most likely you are tensing up something
that is not presently in your awareness and you need to try and find it.