I need to know which amp would be best for rock, classic rock, some modern stuff, and a little blues. I am also looking for an Eric Johnson type tone, since I like him. I was lookng at the Fender Blues Junior; will that work? My budget is around $500 CDN.
Well..I'm not sure on the currency conversions for USD - CDN, but..Hughes and Kettner's 20th edition amp sounds like something you might want to look at...Wicked Cleans, Pretty good Overdrive, handles classic rock Purty Gud (< That's Missouri for you.) But, it's $750 USD so..I'm not sure if it's in your price range. You could always try used though..
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
If you're willing to save up an extra $200, I'd really recommend the Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue. I've never heard a complaint about it especially for those genres (pretty much exactly what I play).

I play Cliffs of Dover on this thing all the time it's got the ability to get that phenomenal EJ tone.

If you're not willing to wait a bit and save the extra two hundred the blues junior should be pretty good.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
What sorts of pedals would I need for an EJ tone, using the Blues Junior? I'm just wondering...I'll get an EQ pedal. But, like, do I need a Tubescreamer or something? Some kind of delay? I'm not sure.
I've seen EJ live maybe 2 yrs ago and as far as I remember he used something like an old marshall plexi, you may want to consider saving more to afford something like this.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
I wonder how long until this turns into an EJ parody thread...?

The Blues Jr should work fine. I think Johnson uses a vintage Twin for his clean stuff.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
What sorts of pedals would I need for an EJ tone, using the Blues Junior? I'm just wondering...I'll get an EQ pedal. But, like, do I need a Tubescreamer or something? Some kind of delay? I'm not sure.

I'd say od, reverb, delay
Mmmmmkay; is there a possibility of a footswitch for the reverb on the Blues Junior? I think it's only single channel, so I'm guessing not? I mean, are there any better Fender amps for around 500 than the BJ? Or is it my best bet?
The Fender Blues Jr. is no way worth the money. It's cheaply made and useless for anything but cleans without a pedal or two. Look elsewhere.
I'd love to hear some alternatives, then. *sigh* I was set on it, and now I hear this, and I dunno anymore. I really am probably limited to about $500. And kind of wanted a Fender amp... What's the next best thing?
Mmmmm...maybe I'll look used, then. I don't want to shell out $600+ for it...then again, I might, because I get +$250 for my b-day, and probably like +$100 from both grandparents, and then I can just fork the rest out. :|
Sorry about shooting the Blues Jr. down, but when I saw inside that thing @ the guts it was almost insulting that Fender would charge us so much for such a cheaply made amp. It made me re-evaluate Fender amps. They have great cleans and all but they are robbing us blind.
I sense an uneasiness in this thread... uh oh.

Oh well. I mean, I'm not exactly gigging, and I play with friends sometimes... I have heard tremendous things about the PC30, and the Blues Junior. I was also looking at the BH Handsome Devil, but I've heard it sounds very modern.
for what it is worth - i was really set out to get a fender tube amp myself and ended up getting the peavey instead. $400. granted, it can't quite do that sweet fender clean but it can get clean enough and also do some of the other stuff you were talking about which the fender lacks. imo.

i played the Blues Jr, Super Champ, and Hot Rod Delux all at the same store/time and the peavey won for me. check the blackheart too.

again the VK is good at doing lots of things good. not great at any one thing.

;