Page 1 of 2
Whenever I use programs such as FL Studio, Ableton, Protools, Cakewalk, etc, there are always major lagging problems, no matter how much I tweak the settings from my soundcard/in the software itself. I'm running a Dell Dimension with Soundmax soundcards, do you think it's time for an upgrade?

If so, any suggestions?
What other specs should I post and how can I find them? Thanks for the replies...

Also, I already have the ASIO4ALL installed and it still lags terribly, worse than with the primary soundcard even.
Quote by fattyDQ
What other specs should I post and how can I find them? Thanks for the replies...

Also, I already have the ASIO4ALL installed and it still lags terribly, worse than with the primary soundcard even.

tweak delay on it? or update your windows 95 :P
Quote by leonardo.kornuto
You're pretty

ty
u need like at least 512 RAM for xp...or else it runs like ****...i have 2 gig and its still kinda slow
You're pretty

ty
it sounds like if it's lagging a lot it's your system specs. An upgrade to your processor and an extra gig of RAM would go a long way..........or you could just ditch the **** dell and get a decent desktop.
Upgrade your RAM, NOW!

Quote by Dirtydeeds468

BUT DUDE! THAT'S MY OPINION! JUST LIKE PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS THAT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE CRIMINALS! IT JUST CAN'T BE CHALLENGED BECAUSE IT'S YOUR OPINION!

WHEEEEEEEE.

Heja Sverige!
you have as much RAM as I did several years back, XP will run on it no problem (I had less than that when I upgraded to XP it was such a memory hog)

use this http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx?gclid=CKumwbLDnJMCFQ9gMAod2iuhrQ

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
Add 2 sticks of 512mb DDR2 RAM running in dual channel. What;s your processor?

if his computer is older than 2006 it is likely to be using DDR ram, but unless he posts his mobo we won't know for sure.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
Add 2 sticks of 512mb DDR2 RAM running in dual channel. What;s your processor?

www.newegg.com is your friend for RAM. The markup on RAM is crazy and you can get it pretty cheap off newegg.

Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~1694 Mhz
Quote by metaldud536
What your system spec?

a post not involving pokemon
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
What other than the RAM, do I need to upgrade do you think?

And what other specs do you guys need, if any?

Thanks so much for the help so far
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3557020&Sku=MCM-680ILT-Q6600A
this is the best deal i could find..fast as ****...comes w/ 2 gig RAM, quad core 2.4 ghz and SLI ready motherboard...you will love your computer if you buy this

EDIT: this 1 has double ram for like $20 more...http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3601833&Sku=MCM-680ILT-Q6600B
You're pretty

ty
Quote by ++BuCkEtHeAd++
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3557020&Sku=MCM-680ILT-Q6600A
this is the best deal i could find..fast as ****...comes w/ 2 gig RAM, quad core 2.4 ghz and SLI ready motherboard...you will love your computer if you buy this

EDIT: this 1 has double ram for like $20 more...http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3601833&Sku=MCM-680ILT-Q6600B

If you know how to put a PC together, get that.
That's what I'm asking you guys, haha. I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred but within the next few months I'm getting a mac laptop for graduation that I plan on using for future musical endeavors so it wouldn't be worth it to spend a whole lot...
Quote by Rocking-Rob
If you know how to put a PC together, get that.

he could get a knowledgeable friend to do it or take it to a shop...still cheaper/better value than buying a setup desktop
You're pretty

ty
Quote by ++BuCkEtHeAd++
works for me O_o

Yeah I've got it now. I don't think I'd want to spend that much right now...
Quote by fattyDQ
That's what I'm asking you guys, haha. I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred but within the next few months I'm getting a mac laptop for graduation that I plan on using for future musical endeavors so it wouldn't be worth it to spend a whole lot...

mac sux
You're pretty

ty
So are you guys saying that I need an entirely new system just so that music software doesn't lag? Or would just adding RAM be enough?
Adding RAM would be alright, but your processor isn't great.

You don't need a new system, you could add RAM and that should kill most lag, but for high quality stuff, high sample rates etc a new computer is recommended.
ram would help tremendously but your processor is pretty slow...plus I'm not sure if your motherboard will even accept much more RAM
You're pretty

ty
Quote by Rocking-Rob
Adding RAM would be alright, but your processor isn't great.

You don't need a new system, you could add RAM and that should kill most lag, but for high quality stuff, high sample rates etc a new computer is recommended.

What do you mean by high sample rates?

Anyways for now I suppose I'll just add some RAM to kill the lag if that will do it, since, as I mentioned, I'm getting a new computer very soon anyways...would you agree?
Quote by ++BuCkEtHeAd++
ram would help tremendously but your processor is pretty slow...plus I'm not sure if your motherboard will even accept much more RAM

I can get up to 1028 MB on my system according to the dell website...will that suffice?
Page 1 of 2