I have no idea if this is the right section but ill just hope it is. My friend wants to start playing guitar in a month or 2. Trouble is, we dont know what guitar or amp to get him. He says he will be playing all sorts of music so he will need something versatile. his budget is about £300 i think.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Ibanez RG321MH if he likes a metal-style guitar, for amp i'd get a vox valvetronix
If i was you i'd go used. If you have a fair idea of prices of things i'd use ebay. I got a line 6 flextone and a washburn x50 for £300 which is stpupidly cheap really. I'd definately look into both of the above as they don't really seem to reach their potential value very often. Otherwsie if you are going new, i'd look into the vox valvetronix range as far as the amp.

EDIT: If you are going new this : http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75090 is excellent for the money, as is the wi200, would go great with a vox practice amp. That's awesome stuff for a first timer.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Last edited by Pete Griffin at May 10, 2008,
A good thing to start with is one of the starter kits where you get an electric and a small amp for a reasonable price. I started out with a Yamaha kit.
Do what I did! Get a squier starter set (around £140 on ebay). Has everything I needed, and the guitar hasn't let me down yet.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Quote by Joeval
Do what I did! Get a squier starter set (around £140 on ebay). Has everything I needed, and the guitar hasn't let me down yet.

LOL
go to hell
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
If he's not playing in a band then a MIM Fender HSS Strat with a Roland Microcube for the amp, and the rest of the money for some accesories.