'lo. I've been playing bass for a little over a year (since last spring break), and I recently got my 'real' first chance to play live. I covered YYZ by Rush with some friends for my school talent show, and we got a video of on youtube.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dh8p3Jx74Hk

I was wondering on your guys thoughts/opinions on how we sound, my progress, ect.
You messed up during the solos...but considering you've only been playing for a year, not bad.

I would have picked an easier song, though.
The.
I agree, easier song... Before looking I saw "A year" and "YYZ" and thought "uh-oh".

However apart from the obvious slip-up on the tough bass solo at 2:33, and the keyboardist's really bad voice (keyboard voice), that was pretty good.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Is it lame to quote yourself in your sig?
Yeah, you definitely weren't ready to play this live. Tom sawyer would of been a good choice.
Not sure you were ready for this, but good effort, especially at one year, few slip ups. My main problem was the guitar sound though.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Dude, You Have A F*cking Sick 'fro

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by esposito123
not bad, but your right hand technique is very... um, unique

How so? It's comfortable, but if you think it hinders my playing, then by all means tell me.

Quote by Jonnomainman
Dude, You Have A F*cking Sick 'fro

Thanks. It got shaved bald last summer, and it's just now reaching about where it originally was.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I do realize the solos could be much better. I probably wouldn't have wanted to play this so early on my own, but the guitarist wanted to play this & needed a guy to fill in, so I volunteered. Personally, it wasn't our best, but I think we still pulled it off decently. I was really interested in your guys opinions/criticism (experienced musicians) on my playing, because I know I still need a great deal of work.
Quote by lil_jahnbassman
How so? It's comfortable, but if you think it hinders my playing, then by all means tell me.

Well the thumb over the neck ain't helpin' ya.
did you win?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I thought YYZ was a little ambitious for you guys. Your skills weren't really up with it, but you made a pretty decent song out of it. Near the end it went to **** though. Everyone was off and nothing was clicking. The beginning was also all over the place. When you hit that main riff though, it was smooth sailing, until the solos started. For your technique, I'm not sure what the guy above me a few spaces was talking about, but your right hand technique is fine. The left hand on the other hand, is not good. You shouldn't be hanging your thumb over the fretboard like that. It really does hinder your playing.
The solos were kinda blagh, and in general you could have been a lot tighter. This song needs to be like asian tight. But it was good for one year of playing.
Quote by ScottB.
did you win?

Nah. Our school has a reputation to let the prep kid who sings like green day to win every year. From what i've heard though, we were by far the best there (because we have a lot of real retards who made the tryouts).

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The left hand on the other hand, is not good. You shouldn't be hanging your thumb over the fretboard like that. It really does hinder your playing.

Yeah i was wondering about this once but noone's really pointed it out. Aren't you supposed to keep your left thumb anchored just above the top of the line on the back of your neck? I was planning to get a 'bonified' bass teacher this summer to iron out these issues & maybe pick up a little on jazz & improv.
Quote by lil_jahnbassman
Nah. Our school has a reputation to let the prep kid who sings like green day to win every year. From what i've heard though, we were by far the best there (because we have a lot of real retards who made the tryouts).

Yeah i was wondering about this once but noone's really pointed it out. Aren't you supposed to keep your left thumb anchored just above the top of the line on the back of your neck? I was planning to get a 'bonified' bass teacher this summer to iron out these issues & maybe pick up a little on jazz & improv.

Keep the thumb on the fretting hand on the back of the neck and use it as a pivot.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Pretty decent for playing together for a year, although lots of parts kind of sounded off - and not in a you-took-the-song-and-added-your-own-style way.

Also, i wonder how many people in the audience actually knew the song and weren't just cheering for the hell of it.
i think people are crazy about the thumb on the neck thing. i've found that if i put my thumb there it causes my wrist a lot of pain by the time i play 2-3 songs. so i just let my thumb go. I'm not saying i let it grip around the front of the fretboard. but it sometimes sits on the upper edge.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
You should work on your right hand. I don't like how you have your thumb on the pickup but your other four fingers are so far out to the right. I play with my thumb on the pickup but my index and middle finger are right in front of my thumb so they are also over the same pickup. I hope you understand what I mean, this is a bit hard to explain without a picture. You don't have to have your index and middle finger right in front of your thumb like I do, but having your fingers stretched out to the right like that isn't doing you any good. It's slowing you down and creating a lot of extraneous motion. It might even get painful after a while.
Got Bass?
Quote by lil_jahnbassman

The best thing to do when presented with a battle of the bands situation is to not let the whole idea of winning be the only thing youre after. There are always more losers than winners and if you take it badly it can spell the end for your band.

Always go out there with the attitude that this is just a load of fun, if you win its an added bonus. I garentee that you'll enjoy yourself either way.

Too many bands take competitions too seriously, they end up despondant and pissed off when they lose. In some extreme cases, they bribe the judges and sabotage other bands equipment. It's just not worth it!

I hope you had fun and that you're not bitter about losing out, you've come a hell of a long way in a year of playing and so you should be congratulating yourself.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
The best thing to do when presented with a battle of the bands situation is to not let the whole idea of winning be the only thing youre after. There are always more losers than winners and if you take it badly it can spell the end for your band.

Always go out there with the attitude that this is just a load of fun, if you win its an added bonus. I garentee that you'll enjoy yourself either way.

Too many bands take competitions too seriously, they end up despondant and pissed off when they lose. In some extreme cases, they bribe the judges and sabotage other bands equipment. It's just not worth it!

I hope you had fun and that you're not bitter about losing out, you've come a hell of a long way in a year of playing and so you should be congratulating yourself.

Yeah. We really didn't really care b/c it's a meaningless title anyways, & we just had a lot of fun just jamming. I thought playing live for the first time was pretty cool, even on a rediculous song like YYZ. Even though i've played bass for only one year, I LOVE the instrument.

I can see what you guys mean on the left-hand thing, and i'll work a bunch on that. The right-hand thing - I kind of play sideways so I get the same reach with both my pointer and middle fingers, and it's comfortable, but I can see about the "extraneous motion" thing. I'll look into it, though.
yea man i think its pretty good considering how long you have been playing ive been playing like 3 years and i thikn its tough song

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Just remember one thing. Your goal is not to be good for someone who's played only one year. You want to be good period. Keep up the good work.
Got Bass?
Quote by DoctrDrew116
Just remember one thing. Your goal is not to be good for someone who's played only one year. You want to be good period. Keep up the good work.

Good point. I'm going to keep practicing YYZ until the point where it's absolutely perfect. And then still some. I've still got a long way to go, but I'm determined to make my next live performance of it worthy of Geddy Lee.
Quote by DoctrDrew116

Great point.

As everyone else had said, attempting that cover was a little ambitious. it sounds like you have simplified the verse riff as well, and the intro, and.. etc etc.

Having said that, still a relatively impressive performance from someone who's playing for just a year.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Jonnomainman

I agree with the whole idea of having fun, but IMO if you go to a battle of the bands you should WANT to win. Not so much that you bribe the judges, but that you play the best you possibly can play. If you honestly believe your band is good, then you should go to win. Whatever.

And TS, that was an alright YYZ cover. The song is just so badass that even if you get it somewhat right it sounds good. You did a fairly good job. Just keep working on it and you'll nail it eventually. Hell, I've been playing almost two years, And I still haven't gotten the main riff down the way Geddy plays it. I can sense it coming though...