Page 1 of 2
There's so many sweet things you can do with command prompt, and i think that us ugers should share some of our knowledge and great things that we can do using such a simple, yet sweet program...

Here's two pretty cool things i found out:

type 'telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl' (without the quotations) in command prompt to watch a text version of Star Wars.

Also i know how to bypass any school proxy using command prompt, but it takes to long to talk about how to do it.
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
that star wars text thing doesn't work for me
Sig space available, give me some praise
Someone wrote the command prompt for sending a message to every machine on the Glasgow University network on a bathroom wall.

Me and my friends decided to test it.... it worked. Was totally hilarious. People didn't know wtf was going on, but after a bit everyone on that floor knew it was us cus we couldn't stop laughing.
Quote by ross1234
that star wars text thing doesn't work for me

Didnt work for me either
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
I just know how to do some basic things like pinging and reading the ipconfig when my internets down.

Otherwise, I just don't use it.
Signature? What's a signature?

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
the house burnt down
pics coming soon!
<.<
>,>

Quote by metalscott76
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best theory lesson EVER!
Quote by freedoms_stain
Someone wrote the command prompt for sending a message to every machine on the Glasgow University network on a bathroom wall.

Me and my friends decided to test it.... it worked. Was totally hilarious. People didn't know wtf was going on, but after a bit everyone on that floor knew it was us cus we couldn't stop laughing.

Netsend

The source of much hilarity at my school.
i know a few, but most of them are hacks, which i think might b illegal, since u can access other computers, so i wont say anything
sex, drugs, and rock and roll have turned into aids, needles, and techno..
Quote by filthandfury
Netsend

The source of much hilarity at my school.

What is this "netsend" you speak of?
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
telnet://towel.blinkenlights.nl

Hit that up in your browser, and select that you want to launch the application, and you'll see the Star Wars in ASCII.

And for netsend, just google it.
Last edited by filthandfury at May 10, 2008,
//thread

amidoinitrite?
Member of Cryptozoology Group!

Quote by Ichimaru
It's simple to sound like them, tune your guitars down a couple of steps but don't worry if it's actually IN tune or not, then just plug in and throw your guitar out the window.
fine filthandfury...

1. open command prompt

2. type in 'ping' and then the domain of the website that you'd want to go to let's instead use ultimate-guitar.com in our case. So once your in command prompt, type in 'ping www.ultimate-guitar.com'

3. Wait a couple seconds and then you will get a series of numbers that looks like and IP address, but it ACTUALLY IS AN IP ADDRESS. for ultimate guitar's case it' will be [85.17.164.150]

4. With that internet protocol address, you type in the website as 'http://85.17.164.150/' and you'll get to ultimate-guitar.com that way as well without ever showing the domain name.
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Quote by tjbhdeath squad
fine filthandfury...

1. open command prompt

2. type in 'ping' and then the domain of the website that you'd want to go to let's instead use ultimate-guitar.com in our case. So once your in command prompt, type in 'ping www.ultimate-guitar.com'

3. Wait a couple seconds and then you will get a series of numbers that looks like and IP address, but it ACTUALLY IS AN IP ADDRESS. for ultimate guitar's case it' will be [85.17.164.150]

4. With that internet protocol address, you type in the website as 'http://85.17.164.150/' and you'll get to ultimate-guitar.com that way as well without ever showing the domain name.

Ah, I knew that already

It doesn't bypass any filter, it depends if the filter works by URL or IP, but yeah this does work for a lot of systems
the telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl is awesome!
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
I use it to ping and for netstat and ipconfig.
Ah and if windows doesn't let you delete a file, you may be able to do it through command prompt.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

The Star Wars thing was taken out of Vista.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Quote by _Tim_
um how do i open the cmd prompt on vista?

click start and where it sys search type cmd
Quote by output24
Haha, owned!
U win fender.

Quote by wiggy1988
teacher- Some slave owners would fight duels using their slaves
Me- So, sort of like Pokemon with people..Black man, I choose you!
how do u do the netstat thing?
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
This is so rad. However, the computers at my school are Macs, therefore ****ty and non-Command Prompt. If Macs have it, they've probably deleted. Our school IT guy is a bastard...

EDIT: I found this thing a year or so ago called The Magic of DOS, and it's like a 15 page guide for beginners on Command Prompt, with telnet stuff and a bunch of tihngs like that. I'm going to take a look through it now...
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Last edited by Chris_Parker at May 10, 2008,
Is there anything like the command prompt on a mac? Our school has nothing but macs
Quote by Chris_Parker
This is so rad. However, the computers at my school are Macs, therefore ****ty and non-Command Prompt. If Macs have it, they've probably deleted. Our school IT guy is a bastard...

Are you ****ing kidding me? Mac OS X has multiple shells built in - bash, tcsh, zsh, csh, sh…

Windows has a ****ty DOS prompt.

-SD
Quote by CowboyUp
Is there anything like the command prompt on a mac? Our school has nothing but macs

Terminal. But I'm almost certain that none of the things in this thread will work on it.
Quote by National_Anthem
Terminal. But I'm almost certain that none of the things in this
thread will work on it.

They do, I'm watching ASCII Star Wars now.
Well, how do we access said "terminal" on a Mac?
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Quote by National_Anthem
Terminal. But I'm almost certain that none of the things in this thread will work on it.

Total horse****.

If anything, Apple's Terminal has more functionality.

Quote by Chris_Parker
Well, how do we access said "terminal" on a Mac?

Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

-SD
Quote by fli.pansy
i know a few, but most of them are hacks, which i think might b illegal, since u can access other computers, so i wont say anything

Or, you don't know anything and your just an idiot whos trying to make his e-peenor look bigger.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Quote by SilentDeftone
Total horse****.

If anything, Apple's Terminal has more functionality.

I wasn't saying anything about the functionality, I was just predicting that the codes for command prompt wouldn't work in terminal. And I've been proven wrong.
Quote by fli.pansy

You're accessing other computers by surfing the internet.

-SD
Quote by SilentDeftone
You're accessing other computers by surfing the internet.

-SD

Damn, I bet that hurts...

Quote by Pauldapro
that starwars thing is awesome
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
Quote by National_Anthem
I wasn't saying anything about the functionality, I was just predicting that the codes for command prompt wouldn't work in terminal. And I've been proven wrong.

Ah,

Some things happen to be created both for bash and DOS. However, many common and useful programs (awk, sed, grep, etc.) are already installed with Terminal, no downloading a badly-made Win32 version necessary.

-SD
Well, I think I'll ping the sites that are blocked at my house, write the IPs down, then use them at school.

That is, unless that bastard of an IT guy blocked the IPs themselves...
Quote by Pauldapro
Quote by filthandfury
Start
Run
"DMC"

And do tell about bypassing the school filters.

FIXED
I get this netsend command, but how can I get it to send the message to every computer on the network at once? Can I do that?

I think it would be great to do that at school, and watch people freak out.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Page 1 of 2