I just ran in to a snag I never anticipated. On both a MiM Tele, and an Epi LP the intonation was off on the low E string, tuned to drop D. As much as I fought it, that string was all over the place up and down the fretboard.

Is there something extra that needs to be done, or something? What did I miss? If it were just one of them, I'd have chalked it up to the guitar or string...but it was both.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I felt like an ass because I was basically doing a favor for a friend for a little bit of side cash, and I had never ever run in to that problem before.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Using a tuner make sure that the 12th fret registers the as the same note as a natural harmonic on the 12th fret. Just get a screwdriver and adjust those saddles until they do.
D:
Signature.
That's exactly what I was doing. I actually know how to set the intonation, my problem was that I would get that perfect (with a strobe tuner no less) but the actual string intonation was still all over the place. Noticeably.

Quote by MisterChainsaw
get your intonation adjusted.

I guess I didn't make it clear that I was trying to adjust the intonation myself.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Yeah, let me rephrase slightly: I was actually attempting to set the intonation on these guitars. Every other string was awesome, but on both guitars, distinctly different ones (a MiM Tele and a Epi LP) the E string, tuned to D, I couldn't set the intonation correctly. I was doing the natural 12th harmonic/12 fret check and getting that perfect, with a strobe tuner no less, but with both guitars, that low string was out of tune up the neck.

Is there something special that has to be done beyond the saddle adjustments in the case of non-standard tunings? Is it something stupid like setting the intonation when it's tuned to E and not D? Anything? Throw me a bone, I felt like an idiot in front of a friend, who does recording, and these really cool guys that were recording with him (the owners of the guitars in question).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Anybody? This is seriously driving me nuts. I can't figure out what I'm missing, and most places and books, etc, that talk about setting and maintaining intonation never talk about any sort of "oddities" with non-standard tunings. The fact that it was both guitars makes me believe the failure was on my part somewhere, but I have no idea what I could be missing.

Or is it because the standard scale guitar was meant to be in EADGBe, and that no amount of saddle adjustment will get the intonation perfect when you drop that E down to the D? I mean, I got that 12th harmonic/12th fret dead on balls, but you'd play at the 2nd or 3rd fret and the note was way sharp or flat.

Help me out, guys, this is driving me kinda nuts.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣