I don't know if this is a commonly known thing, a recognizable but I'm-too-lazy-to-figure-it-out-thing, or completely obvious. But I know there are people that this will help tremendously, as it saves loads of time memorizing the positons of chords. Here we go...

I have just finished working out a great tool to use to move around in CAGED form chords. It involves moving the barre-ing index finger into the place of a finger from the previous chord in the mneumonic for whichever key you are in. Here it is:

For example, when using C, you move the index to the former spot of the finger mentioned and form the new chord:
C-shape : Pinky : A-shape : Middle (this depends on if you barre the three higher strings (which you probably should), if you do, this meathod will be slightly more difficult to memorize) : G-shape : Ring : E-shape : Pinky : D-shape
A:
M,R,P,M
G:
R,P,M,P
E:
P,M,P,M
D:
M,P,M,R

You may notice a pattern in this that helps even more. C goes PMRP, then A takes off from the 2nd finger, starting at M, going MRPM. G does it again, going RPMR. E breaks the pattern because otherwise it would be the same as C, and that would be too easy (Heavy sarcastic annoyance) so E goes PMPM. D takes off from E, going MPMM. Also note that most of them repeat the first switch-finger used in the last spot, as in for C: PMRP

I hope this helps
Last edited by CallmeTravis at May 10, 2008,
I think it's easier to find your positions by the root notes. Makes more sense that way.
Quote by PanHead
I think it's easier to find your positions by the root notes. Makes more sense that way.

+1