So I recently bought a new Mexican Strat and I'm having problems with its tremolo arm. When tightened, the arm points straight down- hardly a convenient place to have it. I looked in the manual that came with the guitar, and the manual says, "You will need to place a small piece of tape over the receptacle hole to insure that the spring remains in the hole and is not lost." Is this real or a typo? If it's real, then where can I get a replacement? I only see replacement springs for American strat 2-point trems.

Thanks
Quote by Russian1
loosen it one full turn so it is easily moveable....

The problem is that it is easily movable. I want it to be in a fixed position.
huh?

you mean the wammy bar is loose right meaning it swings back and forth? i could be wrong but most vintage trem strats are like that. it just hangs loose. you want it to tighten faster so it stays more fixed in a playing position. if anyone know how to do dat let me know too. also, i don't think mine came with a spring.

;
take it off strat tremolo's are useless cuz once you use it you have to retune... you can put a floyd on bu tit looks like crap.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
^that's not true. i can go days without tuning at all. actually very surprising considering how much i punish the wammy bar.

and i dont' think Eddie Van Halen's FR looked like crap on his Fender body. i wouldn't be able to handle the the re-stringing process as i change my strings pretty often lol

;
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
huh?

you mean the wammy bar is loose right meaning it swings back and forth? i could be wrong but most vintage trem strats are like that. it just hangs loose. you want it to tighten faster so it stays more fixed in a playing position. if anyone know how to do dat let me know too. also, i don't think mine came with a spring.

;

Yeah, I want to get the trem arm in a fixed position so it's easier to grab; I've got another Strat with a 2-point tremolo that keeps the arm slightly past the volume/tone controls and I'd like to replicate that with the vintage bridge. Vintage trems have been out forever, so surely someone must know how to do this by now.
^yeh, i'm actually curious myself. i haven't searched yet tho. if you find something please come back and let us know.

i kept thinking that 'maybe just this last time' if i screw it in a different way maybe it will bite down sooner and tighten up where i want it.

i guess one option would be if you were 95% convinced that you were going to swap the trem out with something else you could try to superglue it in there and see if holds. that way, if that doesn't work just toss the trem and replace.

<flame resistent>

maybe another try would be a piece of thin wood or paper or something (or tape) and wrap it around the shaft of wammy and then screw in as that would cause much less permanent damage and might tighten it up a bit.

umm
but like you said i'm sure there is an answer - i just don't have the bandwidth to go search.

;
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^yeh, i'm actually curious myself. i haven't searched yet tho. if you find something please come back and let us know.

i kept thinking that 'maybe just this last time' if i screw it in a different way maybe it will bite down sooner and tighten up where i want it.

i guess one option would be if you were 95% convinced that you were going to swap the trem out with something else you could try to superglue it in there and see if holds. that way, if that doesn't work just toss the trem and replace.

<flame resistent>

maybe another try would be a piece of thin wood or paper or something (or tape) and wrap it around the shaft of wammy and then screw in as that would cause much less permanent damage and might tighten it up a bit.

umm
but like you said i'm sure there is an answer - i just don't have the bandwidth to go search.

;

Some people have suggested wrapping Teflon tape around the threaded part of the whammy bar to stiffen its feel, but that stuff is only a temporary fix.

I guess the real thing that's puzzling me is that the Fender guitar manual says that the vintage tremolo should come with a spring for the arm (like the American Standard trems do), but I haven't been able to find any vintage tremolo arm springs on the internet.
Quote by apak
take it off strat tremolo's are useless cuz once you use it you have to retune... you can put a floyd on bu tit looks like crap.

What do you do go from thread to thread talking about things you don't have a clue about. There is nothing wrong with fenders tremelos. They are there for a reason to be used.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
They were designed that way to stay out of your way when playing. Just get used to grabbing it when you need it.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
+1 modernp

i've thought about doing this but then i realized it would really get in the way of strumming and shredding so i never bothered. i've learned to just reach down and grab it. it takes a little longer but i know where it always is. right there against the guitar output cable.

i do wish i could tighten it a bit so maybe the tape deal is the way to go to see. maybe this spring is the way to go as i am assuming you could take it in and out which seems pretty easy to do.

i was hoping i could find a wammy bar that had slighly larger diameter but same thread measurement so i could affect where the arm is based on what clock position i put it in at.

i know....anal.

;
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

i was hoping i could find a wammy bar that had slighly larger diameter but same thread measurement so i could affect where the arm is based on what clock position i put it in at.

I use a small piece of rubber tubing, the same diameter as the arm, about 1/8" to 1/4" wide, just above the end of the thread. Make it narrow enough so that it's not visible when it's screwed in.

It makes the arm sit snugly but not too tight, it stays where you leave it but it's easy to flick out of the way. Works perfectly for me, and gives a nice firm feel, no more rattling around.