What would be the best, most versatile amp under $500? I would need it to be able to play metal (From Metallica to Children of Bodom; pedals are acceptable) and it should have good enough cleans. Anyone have any ideas?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Valveking unless your trying to get really heavy into the modern metal stuff. But it can nail metallica and the cleans are decent.

Bugera sounds great love the cleans but havent heard to many breath taking distortion clips yet.

Randall RG50T (could be wrong on the model number doing it from memory) is another great amp

Used 5150 another great choice but its really geared to a more modern tone.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Valveking unless your trying to get really heavy into the modern metal stuff. But it can nail metallica and the cleans are decent.

Bugera sounds great love the cleans but havent heard to many breath taking distortion clips yet.

Randall RG50T (could be wrong on the model number doing it from memory) is another great amp

Used 5150 another great choice but its really geared to a more modern tone.

Would the VK do heavy modern metal (ie CoB/LoG) with pedals?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Would the VK do heavy modern metal (ie CoB/LoG) with pedals?

With pedals any amp can handle anything.... But if you just mean with an OD its a toss up.

Check out my clip that is says VK with JJ's thats running an OD, EQ, EMG's And Gain at about 7.... Thats about as heavy as it gets before it turns to mud...
A used Mesa F-30 combo would have enough distortion and great cleans as well.

A 5150 would be alright too, but I must say, I don't really like the sound of the combo anymore and would advise against getting one unless you get the head and a 2x12, which would be over your budget.

If you can't find one of those, I'd go with a Randall RG50TC.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I vote a JCM900 head,
but i'm kinda biased.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!