Whenever I'm doing a pinch harmonic my palm always touch the bridge pickup's cover plate because it's too frigging high. This is a Les Paul and I used to play a Ibanez which has bridge pickup at the same height as neck. I just can't change my play technique and I don't even want to.

I already ordered the bridge cover ring with the same height as neck's pickup. Question is, is there anything I should know of? There must be something special with the Les Pail's bridge pickup sitting as high as it is, right? or?
there is no benefit from having the pickup so high, just lower it! i keep my pickups about mid height with the high end a tad higher up, so the higher notes can be heard better, so my pickup is a lil uneven, but it gives great response with little buzzing when im turned on but not playing
R.I.P brother dime

Reppin for the new york death metal scene
what makes a man?balls and weiner my friends, balls and weiner
dont put in the same hight surround as there is around the neck. The pickup is that high for a reason. If you have it a lot lower you'll loose quite a bit of output and it'll sound weak. Its a completely different guitar to an Ibanez, you'll get used to it after a while. The reason its so high in comparison to the neck pup is because of the neck angle and the carved top makes it feel like its even higher. You will get used to it.
Quote by hminh87
Whenever I'm doing a pinch harmonic my palm always touch the bridge pickup's cover plate because it's too frigging high. This is a Les Paul and I used to play a Ibanez which has bridge pickup at the same height as neck. I just can't change my play technique and I don't even want to.

I already ordered the bridge cover ring with the same height as neck's pickup. Question is, is there anything I should know of? There must be something special with the Les Pail's bridge pickup sitting as high as it is, right? or?

Well, for a start the other pickup ring won't fit - they're different because of the arching on the top and the neck angle.

Secondly, why not lower the pickup using the height adjustment screws, just make sure the two volumes balance.

Thirdly, how exactly do you manage to hit the pickup when it's under the strings...can you phase or something?

Finally, what's your hand doing all the way back there for pinch harmonics -I'm usually picking somewhere over the neck pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I hit the pickup's ring cover because it's too high. Here're some images i just taken

See the heigh different and how my lower palm can touch it making pinch harmonic? The 'sweet spot' is a little back to the bridge there. Well, My 'sweet spot'.
Just lower the pickup man, turn the screws on each side of the pickup and it'll go down.
Quote by Aziraphale
Just lower the pickup man, turn the screws on each side of the pickup and it'll go down.

Man, it's not the pickup's height. It's the pickup's ring's heigh. As you can see it's quite a brick there.
I dunno... Maybe if I replace the ring with one with same height as the neck's pickup there distant might be too far from the string.
Nice guitar. But sorry just move your technigue a bit further towards the neck. And you get more of a range so move your hand etc.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Quote by hminh87
Man, it's not the pickup's height. It's the pickup's ring's heigh. As you can see it's quite a brick there.
I dunno... Maybe if I replace the ring with one with same height as the neck's pickup there distant might be too far from the string.

There's nothing wrong with the pickup mounting ring, it's absolutely normal...it needs to be deeper because the neck is angled back...besides I still don't see how it can be causing a problem, my Epi Les Paul has exactly the same pickup rings and they don;t cause me any problems. If you don't like it then you really shouldn't have bought a Les Paul - you can always get rid of it and get something with a flat front instead.

Raise bridge a little, lower pickup a little, profit...your action looks way too low there anyways.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at May 10, 2008,
I honestly can't see how the pickup ring can be a problem, not even from the pictures. I'd suggest you seek out a good guitarist/teacher and ask them to have a look at your technique.

And in your first post you say your palm touches the pickups cover plate, which I would interpret as the surface of the pickup and not the mounting ring. So I'm a bit confused.

And like mr. Seagull said, have you tried simply raising the bridge/strings?
that guitar's pickup standard height is ****. my mate's the same I'm having to raise the bridge and lower the pickups just to feel comfortable to fix it.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x