I have been playing for about three years and can alternate/tremelo pick quite well, but I've never anchored my pinky (little finger, whatever u want ot call it). I've noticed the likes of Petruccio and Laiho always anchoring their pinky just below pick ups when playing.

Should I just do what feels right, or should I change?

What do you do in terms of anchoring fingers below pick ups or palm on bridge etc. and should I be doing the same?

Your helps much appreciated.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Explosion

Amps:
Peavey ValveKing 112

Effects:
BOSS ME-50
Metal Muff
Don't listen to this guy, its only a bad habbit if you play classical guitar, i anchor my pinky, slash anchors his pinky, almost every great blues guitarist does it. It actually helps you stabilize your picking if your not a classical guitarist, and also do what feels right
i cant anchor, it feels unnatural to me and i end up playing sloppy.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
i do, but thats just because it's what feels the best, there isn't really a right and wrong way to play, like you said, 2 really good guitarists do it and it works, so it can't be wrong, just like how Van Halen holds his pick with his thumb and middle finger, it's seen as "incorrect" but i'm sure he's one of the fastest pickers out there
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
anchoring is seen as a bad habit... i used to anchor... but now without it my string skipping and general speed is better.

id you suggest you to stop doing it... but generally its more confortable for people to anchor... and comfort while playing its always great...

do as you wish...
Quote by Caseyizzle
Don't listen to this guy, its only a bad habbit if you play classical guitar, i anchor my pinky, slash anchors his pinky, almost every great blues guitarist does it.

Really?
If you are just going all out shred, it's better unanchored, for rhythm more every day playing it wouldn't be such a problem.

Just because a great guitarist has a bad habit doesn't mean that you should copy it.

Resting your pinky on the guitar restricts your movement, causes unnecessary tension and can slow down progress.

Hell, just read this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8202486&postcount=19
edg is a very knowledgeable man about this stuff.
zakk wylde doesnt anchor. whatever suits you do it. i think its harder not to anchor i get less accuracy and speed but thats just me.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Anchoring does not reduce speed in my opinion. I notice no difference in accuracy from when I anchor or don't anchor. I anchor sometimes and sometimes not, since it depends on what kind of playing I'm doing. For more vintagey/bluesy sounding solos that I want to be expressive on, I play close-fisted or with a loose fist. If I want to do some speedpicking or quicker legato runs then I anchor my pinky for accuracy.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by buckethead_jr
Really?
If you are just going all out shred, it's better unanchored, for rhythm more every day playing it wouldn't be such a problem.

Just because a great guitarist has a bad habit doesn't mean that you should copy it.

Resting your pinky on the guitar restricts your movement, causes unnecessary tension and can slow down progress.

Hell, just read this: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8202486&postcount=19
edg is a very knowledgeable man about this stuff.

i don't give a ****, i do whats comfortable, i can play the same speed anchored and unanchored and my accuracy feels bettter anchored, have you not seen how fast slash plays? pretty sure i don't need to be playing faster than that, and besidees im not into hardcore shredding anyways, its to artificial sounding.....
I anchor my pinky when I'm dealing with the EAD strings and move it off when playing GBE...Just more comfortable to me when I'm palm muting to have a base
I've always wanted to try out anchoring but I've always found it uncomfortable + difficult to play with.
Last edited by kthxbi at May 11, 2008,
It's crazy to even have so many threads about this really. "Anchoring" is one very small part of the many things your hand have to do (or don't do), while playing guitar. Palm muting, pick angle, pick attack, fret hand positions, fret hand THUMB position - these are just some of the thousand of little things that make up guitar playing.

I'll anchor at times and not at others. Don't TRY to anchor if you don't already. If you don't, and can play fine, there's no reason to stop. If your idol does, it won't make YOU better to do it too. If you can play fine anchoring, then don't stop because someone tells you it's a "bad habit".

There comes a time when you have to stop thinking so much and just "play" already.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
I anchor my pinky, but I was taught to do so, any it feels unatural for me not to do it. Do whatever feels right.
The only way anchoring is going to cause tension is if you are really pushing on your guitar. If you can feel pressure in your pinky, then yes, you're going to cause some damage. If not, it's fine. I used to anchor with my pinky and I pushed hard enough that after about ten minutes of play my whole picking hand hurt, when I lightened up a bit my speed and accuracy increase ten fold. I then read anchoring was just so bad, blah blah blah, all these people just saying that because that's what they've heard, and I could play just as fast and accurate without it, but it just wasn't comfortable. So I reverted back to anchoring my pinky.

A ton of shredders do it, I mean as long as you're not physically hurting yourself then it's fine.
i don't anchor much, but when I do if helps a little on some things, other things it just feels odd