Page 1 of 2
I have to make my own political theory for my humanities class and thought that this would be an interesting topic to discuss in a forum since there are people from different cultures and countries. Right now i'm trying to find some problems of society and ways to fix them so...
What do you think are some major problems of your society or the world in general and how do you think we can fix it?

Here are some of my thoughts:

Problem: People are ignorant of important issues
My Solution: All news channels and news papers can't be owned by other companies. This would help take away the influence of corporations over news and would give the media more freedom to talk about important stuff.

Problem:
The people doesn't participate in politics
My Solution: I would make it a requirement to take political science and economy in high school. That way people are aware of different views on the role of government and would be motivated to think for themselves. Also, each state/province would have meetings every 15 days where the public can go and talk about ways to improve the government/society. Every two months people of the state/province would vote on different issues and it'll become law.

Problem
:Corporations have too much power over society and government
My solution: I don't really know yet :/ but i think that i would nationalize all natural resources so there's no privatization of water, oil, etc.

What are your opinions on this?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Quote by mr freezy
Problem: World hunger
Solution: Give them food

well, the world is making food to feed a population twice as big as today's but we (most people) don't have control over who gets how much...what are some ways to change that?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
War
Quote by ZanasCross
I can now officially say, sex with paolio is not overrated. Best e-sex I've ever had....

problem: everything
solution:

Quote by clincher09
you win

Quote by Vornik
..Are you wearing a pokemon hat?

Quote by Schmietty
+1 for what looks like a Pokemon hat.
Quote by Paolio
War

solution?
how can people stop war even though corporations who have a big influence on our economy/government wants war?
-Homer Simpson
Resolution to major problems?

V7- I
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by blues-guitarist
Problem: People are ignorant of important issues
My Solution: All news channels and news papers can't be owned by other companies. This would help take away the influence of corporations over news and would give the media more freedom to talk about important stuff.

Can you really tell someone in a free market economy that they can't own something when they've got the cash to pay for it and it's for sale?

Problem:
The people doesn't participate in politics
My Solution: I would make it a requirement to take political science and economy in high school. That way people are aware of different views on the role of government and would be motivated to think for themselves. Also, each state/province would have meetings every 15 days where the public can go and talk about ways to improve the government/society. Every two months people of the state/province would vote on different issues and it'll become law.

Your first measure would take 50 years to actually take effect since that's how long it'll take for everyone who won't have been forced to take politics at school to die off. I don't think it's fair to force people to take a class at school either, certain further education courses are quite picky on what you need to have and filling up one class slot with something you didn't want to do in the 1st place would probably be detrimental. Kids generally don't do well in classes they don't care about eiither, you might be robbing people of a 4.0 if they'd done physics instead of politics.

Your other measures are examples of direct democracy, the stupidest kind of democracy there is. Common people generally speaking will vote for themselves rather than the common good, so basically those who have the time to turn up and vote that day will have their say while the people who had to work or look after the kids will get screwed. We have governments for a reason, it's their job to make decisions, your taxes pay for that, don't do their jobs for them. As much as people bitch about politicians, it's unlikely people of the "I could do a better job" mindset actually could.

Problem
:Corporations have too much power over society and government
My solution: I don't really know yet :/ but i think that i would nationalize all natural resources so there's no privatization of water, oil, etc.

What are your opinions on this?
You'd basically have to buy these massive corporations and their stock holders out. Your government literally can't afford it.
Problem:Fatty fatty mcfat-fats eating too much and UK is sinking
solution: we eat nothing but, literally nothing but slimfast.

I'll get the Nobel Prize yet...
Problem 1. my solution: brick to the head, wash, rinse and repeat

Problem 2.& 3 same as above

But seriously(serious in the pit?!?) your ideas legitamately make sense and i'm glad to see someone in the pit actually address real problems like this and all that Shyt.

You know what else is a problem? Frog rape, I think this problem requires alot more attention.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
problem: your mum
solution: my ****.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Problem: Over Population

Solution: Mass genocide/human culling.
Quote by nightraven
can't stand public showers
and yes i do have a small penis

Quote by thewho182
people in public showers make fun of my big dick

Quote by kyle33093
i would if pee pee was bigger

Quote by blues-guitarist
solution?
how can people stop war even though corporations who have a big influence on our economy/government wants war?

Revolt and live in anarchistical states where no countries exist and like-minded yet peaceful people band together, controlled by no governing body. This plan should work for approximately another 30-40 thousand more years, until the entire process is repeated and the world becomes a capitalist state again, what do I care I'll be dead.
All your solutions fail to take into account that a lot of people are morons.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by freedoms_stain
Can you really tell someone in a free market economy that they can't own something when they've got the cash to pay for it and it's for sale?
Well, at least where I live there are certain things, some state parks for example, that can't be bought that private companies

Quote by freedoms_stain
Your first measure would take 50 years to actually take effect since that's how long it'll take for everyone who won't have been forced to take politics at school to die off. I don't think it's fair to force people to take a class at school either, certain further education courses are quite picky on what you need to have and filling up one class slot with something you didn't want to do in the 1st place would probably be detrimental. Kids generally don't do well in classes they don't care about eiither, you might be robbing people of a 4.0 if they'd done physics instead of politics.
True, but i would make it affordable for people out of high school to take them too, that would increase the number of people who are learning different ideas. I think most kids are going to be interested in a class about political science. I wasn't interested in politics until this year, when i started to learn and realize how much influence the government has over us and that we can change that and that there are alternatives to our system. I think that a lot of people are not interested in politics because they think that common people can't change the government which is not true.
-Homer Simpson
Quote by rizo299
It should be illegal for politicians to lie, skirt around questions or give false information knowingly.

So politicians in themselves are an illegality?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
All your solutions fail to take into account that a lot of people are morons.

one of my solutions included to educate the people...
-Homer Simpson
Quote by blues-guitarist
one of my solutions included to educate the people...

Morons don't want to be educated. There's plenty of people who will intentionally and knowingly disrupt educational procedures for no real reason. The better solution would be to stop them being involved in politics altogether. Unfortunately, you can't deny people the vote for being stupid, or else democracy would be a perfect system.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by blues-guitarist
Well, at least where I live there are certain things, some state parks for example, that can't be bought that private companies
That's because they are "owned" by the people and run by the government.

The very very last thing we want is for the government to own or control the media.

True, but i would make it affordable for people out of high school to take them too, that would increase the number of people who are learning different ideas. I think most kids are going to be interested in a class about political science. I wasn't interested in politics until this year, when i started to learn and realize how much influence the government has over us and that we can change that and that there are alternatives to our system. I think that a lot of people are not interested in politics because they think that common people can't change the government which is not true.
Choice is what makes democracy work, and people have the right to choose whether they participate or not.

By teaching politics at school in a compulsory manner you also run the risk of indoctrinating kids into certain ways of thinking, which can be quite dangerous. It really is better to let people find out for themselves.
Quote by break-me-in
Morons don't want to be educated. There's plenty of people who will intentionally and knowingly disrupt educational procedures for no real reason. The better solution would be to stop them being involved in politics altogether. Unfortunately, you can't deny people the vote for being stupid, or else democracy would be a perfect system.

I don't think that most of the people that are not educated are that way because they intentionally want to...if i wouldn't of taken humanities this year i probably wouldn't be talking about politics right now or interested in philosophy
-Homer Simpson
Quote by freedoms_stain
That's because they are "owned" by the people and run by the government.
I wasn't saying that the media would be controlled by the government. The media should run by themselves, instead of all being owned by a few huge companies.

The very very last thing we want is for the government to own or control the media.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Choice is what makes democracy work, and people have the right to choose whether they participate or not.

By teaching politics at school in a compulsory manner you also run the risk of indoctrinating kids into certain ways of thinking, which can be quite dangerous. It really is better to let people find out for themselves.

I wouldn't make it mandatory to participate in politics, but i would try to get more people to participate in politics. The classes i'm talking about would be more like a humanities class, where you learn about Locke, Hobbes, Marx, etc. That wouldn't make people think in a certain way but expand their views.
-Homer Simpson
Canada could stop being a bunch of bitches and actually keep all of our resources in our country, therefore making everything cheaper, and our economy better. Sure everyone would be pissed we werent giving them our precious water power lumber and minerals but who cares, theres really nothing we're importing now that we dont have the resources to make. In most cases we sell lumber to china for a dollar then they turn that lumber into a chair and sell it back to us at 10 dollars. WHY NOT MAKE THE CHAIR IN CANADA>?
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
Quote by blues-guitarist
I don't think that most of the people that are not educated are that way because they intentionally want to...if i wouldn't of taken humanities this year i probably wouldn't be talking about politics right now or interested in philosophy

Yes they are!

Have you heard of chavs?

There are lots of people in the Western world who don't know how fortunate they are to have an education and therefore they go to school and pay absolutely no attention because they don't want to learn.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by severed-metal
Genocide would solve most of the famine in Africa.

But that's just mean.
there are actually several large scale genocides going on in africa as we speak.

also the largest armed conflict since WW2.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by deadmansdiary
Canada could stop being a bunch of bitches and actually keep all of our resources in our country, therefore making everything cheaper, and our economy better. Sure everyone would be pissed we werent giving them our precious water power lumber and minerals but who cares, theres really nothing we're importing now that we dont have the resources to make. In most cases we sell lumber to china for a dollar then they turn that lumber into a chair and sell it back to us at 10 dollars. WHY NOT MAKE THE CHAIR IN CANADA>?
Because the 10 dollar chair made from a dollar worth of wood would cost 50 dollars to make after you'd paid the person who made it a western wage.
I just thought of it. An answer to all the world's problems would be to kill all humans.

We're destroying the Earth, we only cause problems for each other and disrupt the natural order. We're too far evolved for our own good, and not quite intelligent enough not to bicker amongst ourselves and be selfish pricks.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by blues-guitarist
I wasn't saying that the media would be controlled by the government. The media should run by themselves, instead of all being owned by a few huge companies.

the media runs itself by being controlled by several large corporations. you mean the media should run without any management or profit? theres no such thing as an altruistic buisness.

I wouldn't make it mandatory to participate in politics, but i would try to get more people to participate in politics. The classes i'm talking about would be more like a humanities class, where you learn about Locke, Hobbes, Marx, etc. That wouldn't make people think in a certain way but expand their views.
those ideas arent exactly hidden... anyone can learn about anything they want. they choose not to.
Quote by blues-guitarist
As I said already, it's a free market, you can't pick and choose who owns what. There are laws against monopolies but you can't stop a man from purchasing a publishing company or a news network.

A better way would be to improve communication between government and the people.

Make politicians more accessible and more accountable.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Because the 10 dollar chair made from a dollar worth of wood would cost 50 dollars to make after you'd paid the person who made it a western wage.

yes but in theory everyones wages would drop substantially but so would the cost of everything since it was all being made from free materials. In theory it could probably work pretty well...

.not at all like communism...
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.
if there werent any problems in the world, what would us musicians have to write about?
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by NOtrab
if there werent any problems in the world, what would us musicians have to write about?

Plenty.

But we wouldn't really use the minor scales that much any more.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by NOtrab

there are always going to be problems in the world
-Homer Simpson
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
Problem: War & Hate
Solution: Peace & Love

Problem:Reality
Solution:Being Realistic
Page 1 of 2