I noticed alot of songs don't make alot of sense. Many popular songs are just cliches repeated and catchy choruses. When writing music, is it best to think of what makes sense or to write something catchy? Opinions would be helpful.
Both. If your music isn't catchy or memorable it isn't hardly going to reach anybody.
Write whatever you want to write.

Deep, creative and emotive lyrics are good.
Deep, creative, emotive and catchy lyrics are better.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
It depends on what you're doing. If you're writing death metal, catchy lyrics about girls won't really matter. If you're writing pop songs for mass consumption, your deep, poetic lyrics will be lost on most people, let alone lyrics about gore.
Quote by mikeman
I noticed alot of songs don't make alot of sense. Many popular songs are just cliches repeated and catchy choruses. When writing music, is it best to think of what makes sense or to write something catchy? Opinions would be helpful.

I think its best to express YOURself, and not try to do what you think is "right".
It depends on what you're doing. Would Rush be Rush without singing about crazy past cultures and temples and the like. Would Britney be Britney if she didn't talk about pedantic, selfish bull****? All that matters is what you want to right.
When writing music, you shouldn't even consider, let alone take into account your (possible) audience. Thus... The question doesn't really pose itself.

That's my view... I'm sure plenty differ.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
When writing music, you shouldn't even consider, et alone take into account your (possible) audience. Thus... The question doesn't really pose itself.

Aye.

What if the song you write is intended to influence people in some way? How could Zach de la Rocha (for example) write a protest song without taking into consideration what his audience thinks and what he wants to make them think?
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Resiliance
When writing music, you shouldn't even consider, et alone take into account your (possible) audience. Thus... The question doesn't really pose itself.

it depends on your goals. If your an artist writing music to express yourself, I agree. If your commissioned to write a piece for a specific purpose, then a big part of what your being paid for is to consider your audience.
Quote by GuitarMunky
it depends on your goals. If your an artist writing music to express yourself, I agree. If your commissioned to write a piece for a specific purpose, then a big part of what your being paid for is to consider your audience.

Duh.

I thought it was pretty obvious that what I said was in the spirit of writing music purely as a form of expression, not as some kind of (commercial) obligation.

Quote by Damascus
Aye.

What if the song you write is intended to influence people in some way? How could Zach de la Rocha (for example) write a protest song without taking into consideration what his audience thinks and what he wants to make them think?

Not really, if you ask me. Unless, you know, you want to sell out on yourself and make a mockery of your personal values and beliefs in something as "significant" as a protest song.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Pop lyrics bore the hell out of me. I'll write a song right now:

It's been so long
Since I last saw you
I need your love
And I'll give you mine too
Now I'm gonna poo

With the exception of the last line, that's a textbook pop song. Remember, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Verse, Chorus, Final Chorus.

Also remember:

KEY CHANGES DO NOT MAKE YOUR MUSIC ANY LESS BORING!!!

/rant
play what you will and write what you want. besides you, someone somewhere will appreciate what you've done.

as far as lyrical importance in pop culture.. well to most non-musicians they seem to be very very important.

its the one of the first elements of a song that people can easily be taken in by non musician listeners and perhaps related to their own life. MY wife tells me that all of the soul in a tune is in the lyrical content. where i find it in the compositions, melody and general feel of the song.

i suppose i mainly feel that way because i find most (though not all) lyrics to be marketed tripe aimed at specific audiences.. whether it be overdone death metal, teeny bopper pop rock, pretentious progressive music, or comedic nonsensical jibberish.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
By "write catchy lyrics", I don't mean "write lyrics that have nothing to do with you and that are cheesy. Lyrics, regardless of the words, when sung in a catchy way or when used as a hook can get the job done.
I think this is the sort of thing S+L Techniques is for, so I moved it there.

S+L mods, sorry if I screwed up
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out