This is probably a question for my fellow aussies, but does anyone know what wood the Magnum Bass is made of? I'm thinking of modding it, and if it's made of something cheap like plywood then I wouldn't bother.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section or against the rules.
I think you may get some better answers in the Gear Building and customizing forum, so I am going to foist you over there. Good luck with mod project!
I'm not a total expert on wood, but when I knock on the body it sounds the same all around. It's pretty heavy aswell, although pretty thin. I'm just hoping it's something other than plywood.
is magnum the make or model?

perhaps a google sesh will solve these prolems?
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by Mature Lamb
I'm not a total expert on wood, but when I knock on the body it sounds the same all around. It's pretty heavy aswell, although pretty thin. I'm just hoping it's something other than plywood.

can you tell if its plywood by sight? if so, if the neck is bolt-on, take off the neck and check the neck pocket. Another way is to sand the paint off the wood in the control cavity.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
id agree with mahogany, it is a very dense wood, and the thin body can still weigh a lot, strats are over 5lbs...
It's a cheap guitar called Magnum, found in Australia on ebay, so it's not an Ovation Magnum. I can't tell what wood it is by looking at it. Sorry.
Quote by Mature Lamb
It's a cheap guitar called Magnum, found in Australia on ebay, so it's not an Ovation Magnum. I can't tell what wood it is by looking at it. Sorry.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/brand/Magnum

The PBass had poor ratings while the JBass did better ... but then, the sample size is too small and didn't provide enough useful info.

It sounds like it might not be worth the risk. Can't you buy a used MIM Fender or even a Squier? If you can get one with an Alder body, it might be more fun and worth your effort in the long run.

Good Luck!

I'm pretty sure they'd be plywood. Their strat copies are plywood so I'd assume the basses are the same.
Quote by masterohumans
there is something wrong with you that has nothing to do with that instrument you want to build.
Quote by Skar578
id agree with mahogany, it is a very dense wood, and the thin body can still weigh a lot, strats are over 5lbs...

Strats aren't mahogany...