I am a beginner - intermediate guitarist looking to get a custom made guitar from a luthier. I would like to send him the sorts of specs and features I would like so I can get a guitar that fits me.

Basically, I absolutely LOVE the thick, humbucker sound of a Les Paul, but recently I've also come to appriciate Strat and other type sounds as well.

Mainly, I want a PAF type humbucker sound, but it would also be good if I could get a single coil and/or P90 sound out of ther same guitar as well.

Keeping in mind that I want mainly want a Les Paul sound, what kind of specs would you reccommend?

Should I get a Les Paul body? Strat body?
Les Paul scale length?
Pickups? (I was thinking mabye a humbucker with coil tapping in the bridge and a P90 or humbucker in the neck, or two humbuckers with coil tapping) What do you suggest? and, how will a coil tapped humbucker sound like on a Les Paul type-guitar?
Body wood?
Neck wood?
Should it have a carved body? Maple top?

Should I get a Les Paul with coil tapping, or a Strat with a PAF type humbucker?

Thanks in advance

sphefx
Quote by blue_strat
Do you have $3000 handy, then?

No, but I recently got an acoustic built from this luthier, for $350.

This is possibly slightly more expensive, but I can't imagine it would be anything upwards of $700 . I'm not trying to get a Gibson American Les Paul quality guitar here - sorry should have mentioned that before.

Thanks for your answer
Last edited by sphefx at May 10, 2008,
uhm.. ok dude. If he's going to build you a custom les paul for $700 dollars, you may be very disappointed. Not for sure, but don't get your hopes up.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
A strat is ypically made out of alder with a maple neck, whereas an LP is usually all mahogany. Maybe an alder body/mahogany neck would do the trick? I have a Schecter that's mahogany/body and maple neck and it sounds nice.

They also have different scale lengths. A strat has a 25.5" cale, an LP is 24.75". A longer scale means more brightness and clarity.

As for pickups, Seymour Duncan make one called the PhatCat, which is a P-90 with the same shape as a humbucker, so you could put one in there and if you don't like it, you could replace it with a humbucker. If you want both the LP and the Strat sound, a P-90 is probably the way to go.
Quote by Øttər
uhm.. ok dude. If he's going to build you a custom les paul for $700 dollars, you may be very disappointed. Not for sure, but don't get your hopes up.

Hmm, yeah.

Although as I said, I'm not looking for a American Gibson quality guitar here.

But, considering that, do you think a strat style guitar would be cheaper?
Quote by Aziraphale
A strat is ypically made out of alder with a maple neck, whereas an LP is usually all mahogany. Maybe an alder body/mahogany neck would do the trick? I have a Schecter that's mahogany/body and maple neck and it sounds nice.

They also have different scale lengths. A strat has a 25.5" cale, an LP is 24.75". A longer scale means more brightness and clarity.

As for pickups, Seymour Duncan make one called the PhatCat, which is a P-90 with the same shape as a humbucker, so you could put one in there and if you don't like it, you could replace it with a humbucker. If you want both the LP and the Strat sound, a P-90 is probably the way to go.

Thanks for all your quick answers

Yep, I know they have different scale lengths. My questions is though, would a coil tapped humbucker on a Les Paul style body with a Les Paul scale length sound like a strat?

EDIT: oops. sorry for double post
no. The only thing that really sounds like a strat is a strat.... Try single coils, maybe then you can get the sound you're looking for.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I've honestly never played a coil tap/split humbucker that really sounded like a good singlecoil. It can work to get some decent funk or country tones but I've never found a good lead tone with a coil tap/split. If I were you I'd go with either a humbucker in the bridge position and a p-90 in the neck, or simply putting a singlecoil in the neck position.
Quote by Øttər
no. The only thing that really sounds like a strat is a strat.... Try single coils, maybe then you can get the sound you're looking for.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Would it sound anything like a strat? I mainly want a Les Paul like guitar, but it would be cool if it could do some of the bluesy strat stuff as well.

Quote by Aziraphale
I've honestly never played a coil tap/split humbucker that really sounded like a good singlecoil. It can work to get some decent funk or country tones but I've never found a good lead tone with a coil tap/split. If I were you I'd go with either a humbucker in the bridge position and a p-90 in the neck, or simply putting a singlecoil in the neck position.

Yeah, thats the pickup combo I was thinking of. So you wouldn't reccomend having coil tapping at all? Would it sound anything remotely like a strat?

And also, what about the other side of it? Would a strat with a PAF like humbucker work better than my idea?
Last edited by sphefx at May 10, 2008,
If you want a les paul that will get a good bluesy tone, put a single coil in the neck. If you don't like the look of a single in the neck and a humbucker elsewhere (like me), then you can get single coils in humbucker sized casing.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
If you want a les paul that will get a good bluesy tone, put a single coil in the neck. If you don't like the look of a single in the neck and a humbucker elsewhere (like me), then you can get single coils in humbucker sized casing.

Cool. That works great. But would a P90 or a single coil work best?
For a blues tone get a blues pickup. Find whatever pickup you like. Choosing pickups is a matter of opinion really. I would put a texas special in.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Øttər
For a blues tone get a blues pickup. Find whatever pickup you like. Choosing pickups is a matter of opinion really. I would put a texas special in.

Ok, so thats a single coil right?

The problem with choosing a specific pickup is, this luthier lives overseas, so I could try buying a pickup and sending it over, but it'll be good if I can also get a general type of pickup to use
Korina Les Paul body, 25 inch scale length, Coil splittable humbucker in the bridge (Duncan 59 or DiMarzio PAF series), P90 neck pickup, ebony fingerboard, mahogany neck. Maybe to the maple top, and why the hell not to the carved top option.

Just my opinion though

EDIT: Ahh, so you decided against the coil splitting option? Either way, that looks to me like it would make a killer, versatile LP type guitar.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at May 10, 2008,
id say you should ask the luthier what he thinks... if he can't come up with some good ideas for you, i dont know, but he should be able to help you come to a good decision considering hes the one making it for you.
Quote by Shinozoku
Korina Les Paul body, 25 inch scale length, Coil splittable humbucker in the bridge (Duncan 59 or DiMarzio PAF series), P90 neck pickup, ebony fingerboard, mahogany neck. Maybe to the maple top, and why the hell not to the carved top option.

Just my opinion though

EDIT: Ahh, so you decided against the coil splitting option? Either way, that looks to me like it would make a killer, versatile LP type guitar.

Thanks for the suggestion

Nah, I haven't decided against the coil splitting at all. I'm just wondering what it would sound like if it was done . I'm considering having a humbucker in the bridge (with or without coil splitting) and a P90 in the neck.
Uhm.. probably a little brighter and snappier than a Les Paul due to the korina body and 25" scale. Korina basically has the tone of mahogany, but it's a little brighter, but it is more expensive as well.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Uhm.. probably a little brighter and snappier than a Les Paul due to the korina body and 25" scale. Korina basically has the tone of mahogany, but it's a little brighter, but it is more expensive as well.

Yeah, dosen't particularly matter that much, especially considering I'm leaving out the maple top so that makes up for it.

I have to fax the specifications to the luthier, this is what I've got so far

Body: Mahogany or similar wood
Neck: Mahogany or similar wood
Fretboard: Ebony or Rosewood or a similar wood
Scale length: 24.75' or 25'
Pickups: Humbucker in bridge (coil splitting if possible) + P90 in neck

What do you think?
Sounds good to me

Stupid name.

theres no way a professional luthier will build that for under 700$ (unless he REALLY likes you).
LOL I guess but its worth trying.

As I said I'm not going for premium grade woods or anything. To put it into perspective, I was shopping for an Epiphone when I decided to go this route.

Thanks anyway for your comment
^ I know what your saying. But the parts are expensive, I dont think the luthier will go for it. But if he does, Your one lucky man .
the only new idea i have is to look into these. they are supposed to be pretty much exactly single coils when split, but still have a nice humbucker sound. not exactly cheap, but if thats what you want then it may be worth it.
Quote by sphefx
Thanks for all your quick answers

Yep, I know they have different scale lengths. My questions is though, would a coil tapped humbucker on a Les Paul style body with a Les Paul scale length sound like a strat?

EDIT: oops. sorry for double post

Mahogany body, I'm not sure what the neck is made of.
I have a mahogany guitar (strat shape, but similar to a les paul) with a spit coil 'bucker and it has similar punch and brghtness to a strat. Although a little toned down. Still sounds good.
Quote by chikin pickle
Mahogany body, I'm not sure what the neck is made of.
I have a mahogany guitar (strat shape, but similar to a les paul) with a spit coil 'bucker and it has similar punch and brghtness to a strat. Although a little toned down. Still sounds good.

Yeah thats fine for me. I mainly want a Les Paul style guitar that can also do a bit of the Strat stuff. You can't really get a guitar that has ALL the tone of a Les Paul and ALL the tone of a strat.
For a Les Paul tone.
Mahogany neck and body.
PAF style pickups, something like the DiMarzio PAF pro (or joe if you're more into satch ) or the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates or something.

Now for strat tones also (I assume you mean single coil tones cos you won't get strat tones from a les paul) then I'd suggest a HSH config.
Coil taps don't sound like proper single coils.

The rest is yours really.