I am pretty sure that if you are playing in the key of A minor you could use the scales A minor scales, G mixolydian scales, C major scales, D Dorian scales, and the E phrygian scales. I pretty sure I am right about that but I was wondering If you were playing in the key of A minor then you could play what I think is the B Lydian scale, am i correct?????
Quote by mjkshreds
I am pretty sure that if you are playing in the key of A minor you could use the scales A minor scales, G mixolydian scales, C major scales, D Dorian scales, and the E phrygian scales. I pretty sure I am right about that but I was wondering If you were playing in the key of A minor then you could play what I think is the B Lydian scale, am i correct?????

No. If you're in A minor, you play A minor. Modes are something else entirely, and you aren't ready to be worrying about them.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by mjkshreds

Not exactly. All those scales you mentioned consist of the same notes. G Mixolydian is the same as A minor or C major.

The mode is also generally determined by the chord you're playing the scale over.
Quote by mjkshreds
I was wondering If you were playing in the key of A minor then you could play what I think is the B Lydian scale, am i correct?????

No, you'd be in B locrian.

Modes are: Ionian (Major), Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian (Minor), Locrian in that order all following the same key signature but starting on different notes. When I first learned modes I used "I Don't Punch Like Muhhamed A-Li" where each capital letter represents a mode.
Last edited by pwrmax at May 10, 2008,
Well, no, you don't call it G Mixolydian or D Dorian if you're playing over an Am progression. However, for now, for the sake of being pragmatic with a beginner, yes, you can play those scales.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Well, no, you don't call it G Mixolydian or D Dorian if you're playing over an Am progression. However, for now, for the sake of being pragmatic with a beginner, yes, you can play those scales.

+ 1

what happens is that if the progression is in Am, your going to hear all those notes as they relate to that key. Thats why its inappropriate for someone to say "im playing G mixolydian over an A minor progression"...... the notes will sound fine, its just that they are functioning as notes of the A minor scale, not as G mixolyian.
Quote by GuitarMunky
+ 1

what happens is that if the progression is in Am, your going to hear all those notes as they relate to that key. Thats why its inappropriate for someone to say "im playing G mixolydian over an A minor progression"...... the notes are functioning as notes of the A minor scale.

Yes. Just to sum up everything for clarity's sake, you can theoretically be playing the notes of a specific scale, but the tonal center determines what it is you're actually playing based on the scale's relation to that tonal center.
Quote by GuitarMunky
what happens is that if the progression is in Am, your going to hear all those notes as they relate to that key. Thats why its inappropriate for someone to say "im playing G mixolydian over an A minor progression"...... the notes will sound fine, its just that they are functioning as notes of the A minor scale, not as G mixolyian.
Great post. I send that "+1" right back to ya!
Quote by GuitarMunky
+1 but...

I dont think the notes relate to the key, I think they relate more to the chords. I dont think you can truly play only one mode over a whole progression, they'll "function" as different modes over the different chords.