Will the Valve Jr. be able to do metal with a pedal or two? If so, what pedals?

I mean metal as in Metallica/Thrash to heavier stuff like Children of Bodom and the like.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by MakeItWitChu
Will the Valve Jr. be able to do metal with a pedal or two? If so, what pedals?

I mean metal as in Metallica/Thrash to heavier stuff like Children of Bodom and the like.

Yes. Boss - MT2
Metal Muff
line 6 death metal pedal...

Idk I have never had an amp that couldn't "do" metal...
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
It will be able to, but you'll need to use a metal distortion pedal so there isn't much point. It won't even get close on its own.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
You can make any amp into a metal amp with a pedal. Just set your amp EQ to 5's or 12 o'clock and let the pedal do all the work.
OK, another question. Will pedals degrade from the tube tone or overall amp?

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
you can get there, but go with your own personal taste. . . go sample. I think the Boss metal zone sounds like someone just hit a hornets' nest with a bat. . .go figure - no matter what you'd definately be able to get closer to your ideal tone with an eq as well
well i dont listen to metal, so i dont know what the "children of bodom" sound like but the landmine distortion pedal has a lot of gain. you can also look into the subdecay blackstar distortion or the zvex box of metal with a seperate noisegate (the built in one kills sustain)

those pedals cost a lot of money, and since the valve junior is voiced towards classic rock, i think you shouldnt get the vj and save money so you can get an amp that can do metal on its own.

edit: you'll probably need an eq pedal and maybe another overdrive pedal used as a boost.
Last edited by mrchow at May 10, 2008,