Alrite guys,

Im lookin to be buying a head and a cab soon as my bands started gigging and i need something more powerfull and better sounding than a laney r5.
All we play is metal, and we play in drop c, so obvoisly i want a set up that sounds awesome on the lows.

I dont have a budget at the moment but i have been looking at trace elliot gear, purely because ive heard its good and its manufactured in my hometown.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
Some people may call me tasteless, but i personally think Rickenbackers are the ugliest basses to ever land on this earth.
Last edited by brokenbassboy at May 10, 2008,
Quote by alex lifeson7
buy a bass amp..........some guys do that, i dunno, im not really into metal, but if you want those really low sounds, a bass amp could work

Your attempt to take the piss or try to be smart failed.

Go back to school.
Some people may call me tasteless, but i personally think Rickenbackers are the ugliest basses to ever land on this earth.
Quote by alex lifeson7
buy a bass amp..........some guys do that, i dunno, im not really into metal, but if you want those really low sounds, a bass amp could work

*facepalm*

You do realize this is the BASS forum right?

If you want awesome lows, get a 15" or 18" speaker. Or, if you're real brave:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Accugroove-Whappo-Grande-Bass-Cabinet?sku=480886

Just looking at that scares me.
Quote by IndianRockStar
*facepalm*

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Accugroove-Whappo-Grande-Bass-Cabinet?sku=480886

Haha i suppose i did say no budget.. but thats a tad too far
Trace Elliot is very good!

Their mid 90s stuff is less than their latest stuff but still darn good!

The wattage rating may seem low (many amps 130W) but they're incredibly loud!

Trace will give you good sound, good loudness, good reliability.

It's the work horse of the British bass amps. Ashdown is trying to get there, and it is to some extent, but its lower models are made in China and its higher models lack the prestige the glowing trace's have.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Trace Elliot is very good!

Their mid 90s stuff is less than their latest stuff but still darn good!

The wattage rating may seem low (many amps 130W) but they're incredibly loud!

Trace will give you good sound, good loudness, good reliability.

It's the work horse of the British bass amps. Ashdown is trying to get there, and it is to some extent, but its lower models are made in China and its higher models lack the prestige the glowing trace's have.

Cool, im thinking about..

Head

Cab
Good choices, they match up pretty well.

You might just want to look at the 4x10 cab instead of the 1x15.

It'll give you more articulated mids and highs but you'll lose some of that low end boom. The 4x10 also has a tweeter so your highs will have a lot of clarity to them.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Jonnomainman
Good choices, they match up pretty well.

You might just want to look at the 4x10 cab instead of the 1x15.

It'll give you more articulated mids and highs but you'll lose some of that low end boom. The 4x10 also has a tweeter so your highs will have a lot of clarity to them.

what about both? if i get the 1x15 to start with in later days could i get the 4x10 and have them both running off the head?
Yeahh you could get both if you wanted.

and yes you can run both from the same amp

When you run one 8 ohm cab (like any in the trace range apart from the 8x10) you make the amp work at roughly half its max output. So the amp will be running at about 250W with one cab, which is still a lot! When you plug two 8 ohm cabs in, you make use of all the power, so it'll be running at 500W!

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by Jonnomainman
Yeahh you could get both if you wanted.

and yes you can run both from the same amp

When you run one 8 ohm cab (like any in the trace range apart from the 8x10) you make the amp work at roughly half its max output. So the amp will be running at about 250W with one cab, which is still a lot! When you plug two 8 ohm cabs in, you make use of all the power, so it'll be running at 500W!

Sweet! good thing is i live in corby so its literally 5 minutes drive to the factory, i think they have a store =S =p
Awesomee. I'm not too far away. Just up the road in Leicestershire!

Your bands myspace profile really kicks ass btw.

If they dont have a store, www.gak.co.uk is pretty good. I ordered my bass from there, came speedily and cheap! Just make sure you ring ahead before ordering so you can check they have it in stock.

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Cheers dude! We aint got the best recordings on there at the mo but its only taken live from a decent digicam haha, its getting us gigs anyways. Were in coalville in august, if you like metal ul like that gig
I'm not a metal fan unfortunatly!

If you hear of any gigs going around you, looking for indie/rock bands, give me a PM or message my band on www.myspace.com/nakedgravy

</plugs>

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Quote by IndianRockStar
*facepalm*

sweet jesus, That thing will cause some sort of comatosive state.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
Jonno, ur band is nice. as soon as i heard the first 10 seconds of "Everyday Celebrity"

i was like...... they have RX Bandits under their influences......

sure enough, i go down and look @ ur influences, and boom, RX is there.

good music, keep it up =)
I would have to urge agaist getting a cab without a tweeter onits own, especially a 15". While the lows will be fantastic, I feel it will lack and cutting ability, and will turn your sound rather muddy.

I would recommend a 410 or a 212 cab (with a tweeter in it) and then later expand it with a woofer. 410 and 212 do not lack low end in any sort, and will have much more clarity and will cut through the mix far better.

Then, when you add a 15" in later, you will have a very balenced sound, with the heavy low end from the 15" with the versitiliy and balence of a 410/212.

Remember, this is coming from a 15" speaker fan. I just feel that you have to be wary about that cab on its own, as it has no tweeter.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Trace Elliot stuff is very good, I would also recommend looking into Ashdown stuff.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
Jonno, ur band is nice. as soon as i heard the first 10 seconds of "Everyday Celebrity"

i was like...... they have RX Bandits under their influences......

sure enough, i go down and look @ ur influences, and boom, RX is there.

good music, keep it up =)

Thanks for the kind words.

We actually play lots of RXB during rehearsals and stuff and especially in the early days where we didnt have a full set to practise, we'd put it in Mastering the List and Taking Chase to give us something to play.

If you like RX Bandits you should check out my guitarist's brother's band, www.myspace.com/freefallfelix

Gear:
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
hey if you're looking at gettin a 1x15 and a 4x10 they make a single cabinet with 1x15 and 2x10 in one cab. i'd check it out if i were you.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu