I'm trying to decide which pedal to get, I want to get a blues pedal, and I'm stuck between an Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9, a Boss Blues Driver BD-2, or a Marshall Bluesbreaker 2, which do you guys think is the best one? Or, if you think there's a better blues pedal under $100, please do tell. By the way i play and Epiphone Les Paul through a Vox Valvetronix AD50vt.
"A musician should not be measured by the skill at which they perform, but the passion, and love for music with which they are playing."
Last edited by Scion at May 10, 2008,
Tubescreamer. hands down
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Hey man... an overdrive pedal isn't going to help your ad50 too much. As a hybrid amp, it's not conducive to those things. Honestly, they're not going to be better than the amp sims on the vox. I've had the vox, and I've tried to run an od through it... it simply doesn't work.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
od pedals work fine through ss and hybrid amps. you just dont use it the same way as you would through a tube amp. the pedal is designed to simulate the sound of a tube amp being pushed, so it can do that sound if you set it up to do it. but with a tube amp you are usually going to turn up the level and the gain down so you push the tubes to get the more grit, and then add just a pinch of gain from the pedal on top of it.

TS: basicly, just go try the pedals. they all have different voicings you have to decide what you like best. i think giving advice on overdrive pedals is usually pretty fruitless, because there are so many out there and everyone has a different idea of what they want their od to sound like. i prefer tube screamers and clones, while others prefer the boss or marshall. so try them all out.
While I realize that they'll work... they're just not ideal. Especially with an amp that is already solid in the low-gain genre that the TS is talking about. There are so many good, bluesy overdrive sounds in that little amp. I would advise that you try and tweak it for a bit longer before spending your hard-earned money. If you do decide to go for it, though... listen to the Hokie. Go try them out.

Clarification: When I said "simply doesn't work", I meant that it wasn't really an effective, efficient, or economical strategy. Simply not impressive. That's all.

EDIT ALERT:

Speaking of fiddling with your amp's settings, there are some good ones on www.valvetronix.net. Good luck!
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Last edited by carniferous at May 10, 2008,
^ i agree that the ad50 is going to be pretty solid in the lower gain area. i dont know how much of an improvement an od pedal would be, but a good od pedal can sound good on most amps. its just a lot of people keep saying that you should never use an od pedal on a SS amp, so i was just making sure that nobody took that from what you said.
Understood. Having put a bad monkey through everything imaginable, I understand the frustration you feel when people say that ODs and SS amps are completely non-compatible. Such close-mindedness here.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.