The only thing I can say to you: save up a bit more and get a decent guitar, I.E. the Ibanez RG2EX1, which is $300. OR: get an Epiphone G-400 vintage. The G-400 is $300. But not the Dean. Low range deans apparently are a bit hit-or-miss with quality. However, Epiphone is not too amazing at QC on many of their low range guitars. Luckily, the G-400 is mid range, which means it gets checked over a bit more.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at May 10, 2008,
Quote by Emo-Slayer
no its a dean

... what? your post makes lots of no sense.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Deans have an amazingly flat neck, and you can play faster on them than many other guitars, trust me, I own two deans and 10 other guitars the deans are my favorites. That guitar will do you just fine, but if you plan on getting more guitars later, the neck is definately going to be something to get used to after being spoiled with a dean neck.
good starter guitar
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
deans are great rock and metal guitars, i have the ML79 myself and love it, its perfect for me, but the lower end deans are definitely more hit or miss, definitely don't buy offline if you're buying an X series. or, better, instead of spending 200 bucks on a basswood bolt-on, save up double that and get the midrange dean z, mahogany and a set neck. the quality on the 79 series is superb, the pickups are decent, but for the price its way above it's level.