I've been playing for about a two years now, and I feel like I've reached a plateau that i cant seem to break.

My practice routine consists of just playing songs and trying to learn hendrix tunes. I dont do any scales or patterns I just try to play the notes and i keep playing them until I reach this plateau that i cant seem to cross for every song.

Im guessing I will have to start doing finger exercises and what not to improve.

And another thing I noticed is that my playing feels robotic and just very tense. Until I close my eyes and i actually listen to what im playing and then it sounds alot better.

Its just that I cant keep my eyes closed for most of the hendrix tunes because i need to look at the fret board or i miss the notes.

Its very hard to actually pay attention and listen to what your playing and keeping your focus on your fingers at the same time.

And lastly I feel a pain in my right shoulder from having to hold the whole arm at an angle and to keep it suspended while i strum. Should I be resting the elbow on the body of the guitar or should it be floating in the air?

What do you guys recommend I do? (finger exercises, patterns and scales, chords, etc....)
ok,first off,arm on the side of the guitar, don't tense it, don't do anything to stress it.pain=bad. second off,scales and patterns and techniques help like crazy.finger exercises help alot too. my suggestion? loosen up, learn your ionian,pentatonic,dorian,myxolidian,harmonic, and major scales, and learn a bunch of techniques. also use exercises.
Seems like you've already identified areas you need to improve.

Fretboard knowledge,
Scale Runs (they work)
Putting more emotion into your playing

Try something challenging. Perhaps something you know will be hard, but is achievable.

As for the pain, try moving to a more comfortable posistion. Try buying a strap as well, that helped me.
Been away, am back
So let me get it straight. That my strumming arm does not rest on the body of the guitar. It just on to the side of it.

Thats what I've been doing so far but it hurts right at the blade area. I think it hurts from having to hold the weight of my arm up for like 3 hours. I play non-stop for 3-4 hours sometimes. I guess thats a problem. And I should break it up into two hour sessions.

Anybody have anymore tips to playing with more emotion.

Im sure I can find tons of lessons for scales and what not. But emotion, any secret?
Ill give you a couple of songs to listen to. Both the solos in them are filled with pure emotion. Listen to the different techniques tremonti uses to get it.
IE pinch harmonics, scale runs, the scales used, the type of chords used, tone etc.

Youtube: Alter Bridge - Down to my last :: Solo: 2m 50s
Youtube: Alter Bridge - Brand new start :: Solo: 2m 35s

The last song (Brand new start) has an incredibly emotional solo.
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
Seems like you've already identified areas you need to improve.

Fretboard knowledge,
Scale Runs (they work)
Putting more emotion into your playing

Try something challenging. Perhaps something you know will be hard, but is achievable.

As for the pain, try moving to a more comfortable posistion. Try buying a strap as well, that helped me.
I agree ,it allways hurts at times
My grear Fender standard Strat(Black and White)Amp Marshall MG100DFX ,assorted toys.