So I have a tough decision to make by Monday. Do I move on to latin 3 or AP spanish? EDIT: It's not really AP spanish as you are familiar with. What it is, Spanish 1 and Spanish 2 in 1 year.. so it's an accelerated course.

Im in high school and have 2 years of latin down. It's a very enjoyable class.. I always have an average thats about 90, give or take a couple of points. However a coupel of gripes.. my teacher gives homework literally every day. Also his mid terms and finals are very diffucult, usually bringing my average down. Also sometimes on homework he can be unfair... after doing 4 pages/1 hour of homework, get a 0 on it for not having a long mark <_<. Otherwise, it's a great class/teacher... and I enjoy it.

The deal with spanish (2 years in 1, spanish 1 and 2)?.. Well I am spanish.. most of my family speaks it, and I grow up around it. However, I can't speak/read/write a lick of it. I can understand it usually when people speak to me. Thats as far as it goes. So was thinking.. this might be my only chance to take spanish. And it's actually something useful, unlike latin which I will never use. And also.. considering the latin background, should be a bit easier. But I've heard mixed reviews about the class... and it would kinda suck if I don't like it. Also I heard that colleges will see that I am of hispanic descent, and think I am taking the easy way out. Though that soudns like a load of crap.....

Ehh which one should I take? I'm absoultely 50 50 on the choice right now.
Last edited by Supafly1824 at May 12, 2008,
Well, Spanish is in your family so it in my opinion it would be a little more useful to you
Ibanez Universe w/ EMG 707 > Ibanez TS9 > Boss NS2 > Peavey xxx > custom 4x12 w/ 2 veteran 30's & 2 et65's
If you would do well in both courses, just take the one you are more interested in. Your hispanic background will give you a big advantage in college admissions, no matter which language your taking.
Fender Tele
Breedlove SM20
Cort M800

Peavey Classic 30
Roland Microcube

Digitech RP250
Digitech Bad Monkey
By AP spanish I mean that its 2 years of learning in one. I assume of course we start from scratch, but of course this means increased worked and faster pace to catch up since I took latin.

I think I would like latin more. But it doesnt seem useful...? Especially since I have 0 intentions of working with history or classical stuff. Which is why I want to take Spanish even though it isnt THAT appealing.
Hm... if you live in California or any other border state definitely go for Spanish...
Im sure it has to start from scratch, because all the kids who would be taking that class would have never taken spanish before.
you can always have your family help you read and write

I took a class, freshman year, spanish for native speakers and that helped me
I already knew how to read and write spanish, It just kind of came naturally to me
I would take spanish. I've been in spanish since i was 5 (international school) and am really happy that I speak it.

Also, it's a really EASY language to read and write. It's not like english in the fact that in spanish what you see is EXACTLY what you say. It'll take you like a week to learn. Then all you need to learn is like tildes or 'accents' (i guess? I dont know how to say it in english).

If you already have your vocabulary down, it would be a pretty smooth ride! Latin is, however, useful if you want to continue learning other languages.
Dude go for the Latin.

Nobody speaks Latin anymore.

I would sell my soul to be able to walk up to random people on the street and yell long strands of various profanities at them with almost zero chance that they will ever understand it.
Quote by Supafly1824
Im sure it has to start from scratch, because all the kids who would be taking that class would have never taken spanish before.

I'm not sure how it works there, but in my school, AP is advanced placement...and usually comes after 3-4 years of a language. And you get college credits for them. I really doubt you'd start from scratch...
Quote by Dirge Humani
I'm not sure how it works there, but in my school, AP is advanced placement...and usually comes after 3-4 years of a language. And you get college credits for them. I really doubt you'd start from scratch...

This is where my reasoning came from.
Quote by Supafly1824
By AP spanish I mean that its 2 years of learning in one. I assume of course we start from scratch, but of course this means increased worked and faster pace to catch up since I took latin.

I think I would like latin more. But it doesnt seem useful...? Especially since I have 0 intentions of working with history or classical stuff. Which is why I want to take Spanish even though it isnt THAT appealing.

I think your assumption is very wrong. AP classes are college-level courses, and usually have prerequisites before you can take them, like you need to do well in Algebra and Pre-Calc before you can take AP Calculus.
<Han> I love Hitler
I apologize for confusing. Some of the teachers and people in my school refered to AP spanish. I stand corrected, AP spanish is a senior year course.

To clear things up.. heres how my school works:

The top two classes, the honors classes, take latin for 2 years.. no spanish. All other classes take spanish in 10th grade.

In junior year, out of the 60 kids who took the latin courses.. only 30 of them will go into Latin 3 (I can go if I wish because of my high grades). The other 30 will take an accelerated course... having to do 2 years of spanish in 1. Hope that makes it clearer.
Quote by Supafly1824
I apologize for confusing. Some of the teachers and people in my school refered to AP spanish. I stand corrected, AP spanish is a senior year course.

To clear things up.. heres how my school works:

The top two classes, the honors classes, take latin for 2 years.. no spanish. All other classes take spanish in 10th grade.

In junior year, out of the 60 kids who took the latin courses.. only 30 of them will go into Latin 3 (I can go if I wish because of my high grades). The other 30 will take an accelerated course... having to do 2 years of spanish in 1. Hope that makes it clearer.

In that case, I'd try to go for Latin; because it is more selective, it will look better to colleges. And, I'm pretty sure I've been told sticking with one language looks better anyway.
Quote by Dirge Humani
In that case, I'd try to go for Latin; because it is more selective, it will look better to colleges. And, I'm pretty sure I've been told sticking with one language looks better anyway.

Hmm, any other thoughts on which route actually does look better to colleges? By the way I plan on doing something with business/journalism when I go to college.
Quote by Supafly1824
Hmm, any other thoughts on which route actually does look better to colleges? By the way I plan on doing something with business/journalism when I go to college.

Take Latin. Hate to say it, but Spanish has been "done" and colleges don't really care about it (although I can't speak for every college). Latin students are harder to find because: 1) fewer schools offer Latin as a course 2) People tend not to take it because of reasons you stated (hard, useless). On top of all that you'll end up in a higher level of Latin than Spanish.
Latin (and Ancient Greek) are both very respected languages. You might never "use" them that's true, but so much of our world has its roots in ancient Rome and Greece. You'd be surprised at what you could end up doing with a degree in Classics. Check this (http://puffin.creighton.edu/clc/Student_page/Careers.html) out. A higher percentage of Classics majors are admitted to med school than Biology majors!

Now I know that no where did you say you were interested in med school or anything, but I'm just trying to give you some reasons for taking Latin.
Ehh, I have no interest in the medical field, that is an interesting link though.

My decision has not changed 1 percent, and I have till tomorrow afternoon to decide <.<

Question about spanish: since I've done 2 years of Latin, will spanish be a little bit easier to learn?
Quote by Supafly1824
Ehh, I have no interest in the medical field, that is an interesting link though.

My decision has not changed 1 percent, and I have till tomorrow afternoon to decide <.<

Question about spanish: since I've done 2 years of Latin, will spanish be a little bit easier to learn?

Yes a little. Both romance languages but still different ones.