Heres my situation-I know that the JCM 800 can get me the lead tones I want perfectly, but I hear that its cleans are so-so. I also hear that the JCM 900 has great cleans. So would a JCM 900 get the same lead tones as the 800, and great cleans, or are they too different. The tones I'm thinking of are Van Halen, Slash, Rhoads, Metallica, and Hendrix for the lead, and SRV/Chili Peppers/Slash type cleans. Thanks.
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

jcm900 is **** compared to the 800. no where near it. u'd be better off looking for a peavy or a mesa if u want something similar to the 800
I can't be a lot of help, being a fender fanboy. What I do know, though... Slash uses a Silver Jubilee, which, I THINK, is much more similar to the 800 than the 900. So, take that for what it's worth.

Sorry. It's not much. Hopefully it'll keep this thread afloat until someone better equipped can come to your assistance.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
from what i understand the 900 reaches more gain and is usually not preferred to the 800. its very much the other way around in fact.

the perfect amp does not exist. rarely do people find exactly the tone they want in a stock amp, even if it is the holy marshall. (provided they actually know good tone from bad tone) well maybe it does if you've got 3K plus to spend on a head, cab, effects, and then possibly some tweaking of the expensive gear.
It's not that the 800 has bad cleans, it's that the 800 has NO real cleans, it's 1 channel and you get a cleaner sound out of it by lowering the gain and your guitar's volume. The 900 is 2- channel, but tons of people hate it because it's pretty different from the 800, it's not necessarily crap.
Would a pedal improve the 800's cleans then?
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by mydogpoops
Would a pedal improve the 800's cleans then?

Again, no. It's essentially impossible to get a clean tone in a live situation, and all you'd really be able to do is add some reverb or something.
to get cleans you'd need to crank the treble to ~2 o'clock, mid to ~11 o'clock, and bass to ~8.
you could use an eq pedal to LOWER the signal coming from your guitar.. then turn it off again to engage your gritty tone.

i suppose you could do the same with an overdrive.. have the amp relatively clean then use the overdrive to really blast out your tone..

it'd be best to test it out first really.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
It's not that the 800 has bad cleans, it's that the 800 has NO real cleans, it's 1 channel and you get a cleaner sound out of it by lowering the gain and your guitar's volume. The 900 is 2- channel, but tons of people hate it because it's pretty different from the 800, it's not necessarily crap.

The 2205 is two chan.
The 900 is a GREAT amp.

It all depends on the user.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312
The 2205 is two chan.
The 900 is a GREAT amp.

It all depends on the user.

What? Ugh, damn Marshall and their confusing model names.
the 800 2205 is a 2 channel version of the 800 they're awesome i think the 2203 is the single channel model
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Honestly, you really have to put these amps next to each other and try them out. No one here can tell you what sound you like most. Although some consider the JCM 900 to be a JCM 800 with more gain, the sound does differ in practice. The JCM 900 has also several versions which also may vary in sound. From what I have read the 900 SLX has more gain and is more preffered (within the 900 range), but again opinions may vary and you have to hear it for yourself. I tried out a 900 once, but forgot the version. I liked the 800 better then. And a good OD pedal can get you the lead tones. The 800 is made for balls out rock, not cleans.
'sounds like you should look into a later model two channel jcm800 whether it be a combo or head, or 100w or 50w. People say the earlier single channels are better than later ones; and the later dual-channels are better than the ealier ones due to channel bleeding in earlier 2-channel models even though I haven't heard this problem first hand. The reverb on the dual channel model will help with Slash, Metallica, EVH, RHCP tones.
hey listen to gutch this man knows what hes talking about
he has a jcm 800 2203 and jcm 900 4100
i think my balls just hit the floor by the way gutch, great amps
but gutch, i'm also looking at jcm 900's, and well if you're gonna get a 2 channel 800, why not just get a 900? especially if they more gain and better cleans, correct?
and gutch, 4100 vs. slx
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Hadeed
jcm900 is **** compared to the 800. no where near it. u'd be better off looking for a peavy or a mesa if u want something similar to the 800

People said the same thing about the 800 when it came out

And the peavey part made me lol

PS The 900 slx is sickkk the dual reverb is the one that gave the 900s the bad name. Listen to the One Hot Minute cd by the red hot chili peppers for some sweet 900 tones.
Last edited by Say Ocean at May 13, 2008,
Quote by acdclandon
i'm also looking at jcm 900's, and well if you're gonna get a 2 channel 800, why not just get a 900? especially if they more gain and better cleans, correct?
and gutch, 4100 vs. slx

the main difference would be the tone rather than the gain. the 800 will have a beefier tone while a 900 will have a more modern tone. The difference is relatively small when compared to other amps, but if you play them side-by-side you'll notice a difference. Plus the 800 has better resale value if you decide to switch amps. The cleans between a 2-channel 800 and a JCM900 4100 are very similar. Out of the different JCM900 models, I like the dual reverbs best but they are also the ones I have the most experience with. I find the dual reverbs to be most similar to 2-channel 800's with a less beefy tone. also, a lot of the tone will be dictated on the tube type, bias rating, speakers and original components such as drake/dagnall transformers and filter caps. From what I hear, JCM900's vary with year, and the individual amp itself. I personally haven't run into this with my amps so I must be lucky.
Last edited by Gutch220 at May 13, 2008,
ah i see
also does the diode in the 4100 etc. like models make it worse than say the slx which apparently doesn't
some people make a big deal out of the whole diode thing
oh and btw that marshall table you made a while back was a thing of beauty
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Well when I first got my JCM900 4102 I loved it. That was with warn down 6L6/5881 tubes and (unknown to me at the time) damaged resistors on the circuit board. I have since had the amp modded to take EL34s and the circuit board repaired and improved. The resistors were just affecting the loudness of the amp but the EL34 replacement was the big difference. Most people's argument against the JCM900 is it's lack of "balls" but getting EL34s fitted has really given it the balls it needed. Basically when I think of a "ballsy" tone I think of an AC/DC type tone which since the mod, it does perfectly, aswell as keeping that amazing clean sound.
To summarise then. Basically, in a nutshell, if you get a JCM900, I'd suggest getting the mod for EL34s as it just makes it even better.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Get a two channel 800...trumps the lackluster 900 any day.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
There are a lot of people that think badly of the 900. Idk why. I love mine. Most people just never push it to it's sweet spot. I used to have mine hooked up to my Mesa cab and it was a beast. Tons of chunk, and super thick and juicy.

Whatever. I just let people jump on their bandwagons even though they have no idea what theyre talking about...