Sup UG'ers
I currently have a Vox Valvetronix amp, and it is a great amp, you can any sound for it, but as you may know the distortion isn't enough. That's why I'm looking for a distortion pedal. Basically, I need something that can give me good distortion, something with enough gain for, say, punk but doesn't go to the extreme metal stuff. If it's possible, if it's versatile for softer overdriven tones, that's a plus. I've been interested on the Big Muff Pi, great pedal but I'd also like to hear your suggestions.
How big is ur budget? its like under a 100 then i would sugest the digitech grunge pedal. there MXR stuff for the more fuzzy sound, pretty much anything with a 3+ eq and a gain knob you should be fine.
A Big Muff Pi has a very distinct tone, and it is not that versatile at all. You should pick up a Seymour Duncan Lava Box. It's nice and not too expensive. Go for it.
Quote by Onlywayout
How big is ur budget? its like under a 100 then i would sugest the digitech grunge pedal. there MXR stuff for the more fuzzy sound, pretty much anything with a 3+ eq and a gain knob you should be fine.

Whoops, forgot to mention my budget. Anything under $100 is fine with me.

@The Pickle Man: Well, it is not necessary for the pedal to be versatile, but it'd be a nice feature if it is.
the vox CAN do punk fine on it's own bud. use the boutique OD model w/ high mids and treble and half bass. oh yea and 3/4 or more gain will get you very crunchy. that should be really good. getting a dist. pedal for a modelling amp is a BAD idea it will not be worth the money. make do w/ what you have rite now. otherwise you'll be wasting money.

and no one should really be encouraging him to buy a pedal that's 1/3 the price of his amp for a sound that can be acheived thru it already. no offense to yall tho but i own the amp and know that it can handle anything other than death and extreme metal. i think the TS just might need to tweak some more on his amp or just start looking at a new amp. but if the UK 80s model and Boutique OD model can't get you a good punk sound then i guess ur trying to make ur own. don't forget punk overdrive levels usually aren't that heavy. and it's more in the rhythm style than it is the tone but that's my two cents. i hope that helps.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out