Say if you were to use a distortion or EQ pedal on a tube amp, would it take from the tube tone or make it sound worse at all? Sorry if its a stupid question.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
It would just modify the tube sound.

"Rrraahh, tie my rope one more tiime"
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Any time you run something through a pedal you're bound to lose some tone, but if you get a quality pedal it should be hardly noticeable at all really.
Yes.
yes. you can go from rocket ship tone to tin can tone very quickly. try to save up and get some analog pedals so your tone wont get screwed. i suggest for distortion/overdrive the super duper 2 in 1. best investment i've ever made.
Gear:
-Fender American Deluxe Strat HSS
-Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue
-And all the fuzz a man needs
Quote by iTzMaTT
It would just modify the tube sound.

"Rrraahh, tie my rope one more tiime"

Haha, i like you already.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by Misc Debris
Any time you run something through a pedal you're bound to lose some tone, but if you get a quality pedal it should be hardly noticeable at all really.

+1

Even using a 20ft cable vs a 10ft can effect tone, solder type, wire size... Its just something you have to live with and make sure you test it out or review it before you buy it to make sure its not a noticable change...
a great pedal made with quality parts will detract minimally from your tone. a good pedal made with ok parts will take away from your tone some, in which case the benefits of the pedal may outweigh the drawbacks. which means its worth it for the pedal. but when you get a pedal that takes a lot away from your tone, then the pedal isnt worth using because you lose more than you gain.

so the question isnt: will this take away from my tone? because the answer is invariably yes. the question really becomes: are the benefits of the pedal more than the drawbacks from the tone loss, and is there a pedal that sounds as good/better with less tone loss?
Yea, it's just another piece of solid state circuitry in the way of your "tube tone". Anwya, jof1029 pretty much said it.
If Rock is a lifestyle, then Metal's an addiction

"People don't kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"

Quote by Gee-tar-eist
I wouldnt give a ****, i would gladly play music for people to steal it!
For example my fuzzface takes away the tone so much that I can't hear any difference between 0-10 on tone control on my strat...
Something like a distortion pedal would be unnecessary for a tube amp most of the time and yes, it would take away from the tone. An EQ would be acceptable, but there would really be no need to have one for a tube amp, i've always thought they were quite useless mostly but if you want one, tell me how you would use it.

Overall, the only thing you would need is a good quality overdrive and that would cover both the dutiues of a distortion and an EQ to a degree, plus the original tone is kept.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM