Whats the best tube amp for playing thrash metal in a band under $500.

I'd like a gain control, eq, 2 channels, master volume, and an effects loop.

Also, it would be cool if the amp has smooth buttery lead tones.

Are those palaminos not made anymore. Those were pretty nice...

Could anyone tell me why crate tubes are cheap?

Are there any unheard of companies (like rondomusic) only for tube amps?

I'd prefer new, but list used options too.

Thanks
Last edited by mepmep at May 11, 2008,
uh.. maybe with an Overdrive Pedal a Valveking but really there isn't much Heavy Gain Stuff in that Price Range with Tubes with the wattage you'll be needing for in a band..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

maybe this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V-Series-V50112-50W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487054

I never tried but it looks nice..
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
Search around over in Guitar Gear & Accessories (aka AMPs) and see what's going over there. this comes up every day and it is a good Question.

+1 to da Valveking 112

not the greatest but does lots of stuff well. Used options will really open up things for ya to yo

no seperate EQ for channels (only lead) and no master volume

;
do you want tubes because thats what internet experts on UG convinced you of? Solid state amps in that price range are fairly fantastic for what you'll be wanting.

just a thought
What I play:
CustomShop '51 Nocaster Relic
'88 "C" neck Clapton Strat
'08 Strat HSH
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
Boss Micro-BR
Quote by Horlicks
Peavey Windsor is THE budget Thrash Metal amp

I remember going into Mother's Music one day, and a kid was hounding the salesman as to why he couldn't get a good clean sound out of the Windsor.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Valve kings ive played sounded thin. Used B-52?
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
I wouldn't touch a Valveking with a bargepole. If I were you, I;d go for a Randall RG50TC or a used Peavey 5150. Be careful when buying used valve amps, though- more often than not, the valves are going to need replacing, and that's expensive!

It's also worth looking at some of the better solid-state amps in your price range, like the Randall G3 series and Tech 21's Trademark series.
+ 3.14159265 to the valveking

i own the 212 and i tried the 112 before i got it imo it has great cleans and sounds ok on the lead channel on its own for the price sounds even better with a pedal to boost it
Quote by nebiru
Is this your music?

Are you confused? You have like 5 genres mixed into one thing. Who's the dude with the lisp rapping? because I bursted out laughing.
Peavey Vk112, or a Windsor Studio. may want to replace the speaker in the Vk at some point though, it's not that great.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by boostdemon
do you want tubes because thats what internet experts on UG convinced you of? Solid state amps in that price range are fairly fantastic for what you'll be wanting.

just a thought

No, I like tubes for their warm sound. They also have more of a natural full sound in my experiance. Only all the nice tubes I've tried are way out of my price range for several years probably. However I dont think I've ever tried out a nice SS (just a spider 3, a frontman, and a lame starterpack amp). Are any SS amps warm, and not fizzy and dry?
Quote by Evil_Magician
A valveking with OD infront of of it would be your best bet.

I've tried a VK 112 before without OD or distortion boxes, and noticed that the sound was kind of flat, and although I could get it increidibly distorted, I couldnt get a smooth fast lead tone. Would an OD, distortion, or a tube screamer beef it up, and give me fast tones?
Quote by mepmep
I've tried a VK 112 before without OD or distortion boxes, and noticed that the sound was kind of flat, and although I could get it increidibly distorted, I couldnt get a smooth fast lead tone. Would an OD, distortion, or a tube screamer beef it up, and give me fast tones?

With some tweaking you can get it.
I have a VK112 and I'm getting all the tones i want.
I keep the drive on the amp low and the drive on the OD pedal high to make it realy bright and full.
Quote by Evil_Magician
With some tweaking you can get it.
I have a VK112 and I'm getting all the tones i want.
I keep the drive on the amp low and the drive on the OD pedal high to make it realy bright and full.

I also noticed that when I wanted the good tones from the amp, I had to crank it to very high volumes. Obivoulsy in my gigging band this isnt a problem, but when Im at home practicing it is. Would an ibanez tube screamer make it so I wouldnt need to crank it?
Quote by mepmep
I also noticed that when I wanted the good tones from the amp, I had to crank it to very high volumes. Obivoulsy in my gigging band this isnt a problem, but when Im at home practicing it is. Would an ibanez tube screamer make it so I wouldnt need to crank it?

Yes, it would also make your sound alot tighter at higher volumes.