i might not sound like i have a lot of knowledge on guitars because i really don't. so i am planning on buying a new guitar that's better than my raptor exp plus that i had for 2 years, i narrowed down to these. i like playing metal that requires some tuning below standard, alternative, and mostly just practice shredding, i also barely use the tremolo. which would you pick if you were me? and how would you modify it or keep it stock?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-F250-Electric-Guitar?sku=516663

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783
Get one of the Ibanez guitars. The one w/ Maho plays real nice, and it's pretty decent.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
if i was you playing downtuned metal and such, i would get the rg2ex1 and put and emg 85 in the bridge
Quote by mikeyElite
if i was you playing downtuned metal and such, i would get the rg2ex1 and put and emg 85 in the bridge

I don't see what people's predisposition w/ EMGs are. They sound muddy and sterile to me.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by mikeyElite

Dude, better put a hot but not brootal PU like the JB. It can get hot, but not like the 81. And the 85 is just not Hot enough in the bridge. But its all personal choice
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
you all favor the ibanez but i'm not sure which one you are talking about. i really like the rg321mh because of the mahogany body, maybe someone can enlighten me why it is so reasonably priced, the pickups must be pretty bad right? i am thinking of just buying the rg321mh and play it stock for a little while then see if i want to upgrade the pickups, is that a good idea? or am i better off with the rg2ex1?
Quote by Shukie
you all favor the ibanez but i'm not sure which one you are talking about. i really like the rg321mh because of the mahogany body, maybe someone can enlighten me why it is so reasonably priced, the pickups must be pretty bad right? i am thinking of just buying the rg321mh and play it stock for a little while then see if i want to upgrade the pickups, is that a good idea? or am i better off with the rg2ex1?

Depends on what you want to play; those stock Ibanez humbuckers on the (rg321) will likely give you a smoother, more defined clean tone than the EMG's.

And I'd certainly go with mahogany over agathis based on my own experience; I've never gotten a full tone out of agathis but mahogany will give you a nice warm tone with good sustain.

Remember though that a lot of your tone is determined by your amp.
Look the designed by emg and the duncan designed and the ****ty stocks on any are equelly sucky. You can keep them if they fill you, but chances are they wont be: hot enough, soothe enough, bright enough or will be: too sterile, too bright, too trebley, too muddy, etc, and will change them
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Get the RG2ex
If you want INF pickups they sell the RG2ex with INF's for $200
(But those aren't very good, the better ones are the INF's 1 and 2)
So I say RG2ex2
I have the RG2EX1... I recommend the RG321MH for the mahogany. The stock pickups on the EX1 are passive EMG-designed pickups. They are ok, but really muddy.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
Quote by Generalpwnt
I don't see what people's predisposition w/ EMGs are. They sound muddy and sterile to me.

i agree with you. my personal choice is seymour duncan, but for metal what beats emgs ?
Quote by mikeyElite
i agree with you. my personal choice is seymour duncan, but for metal what beats emgs ?

I find blackouts to sound better then emg's so
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by Shukie

The reason, IMO, the rg321 is so cheap is because theres nothing really special about it. It doesnt have a nice paintjob, wich would tack on over 100 dollars, it doesnt have great pups, which would tack on over 100 dollars, its just your basic, guitar.( that doesnt mean that it is bad)

the same with the rg2ex1, it just has a different wood.

pretty much just pick whether you want the deep sound of mahogany, or the slightly brighter sound that stands out more of basswood.

they are both good guitars from what i understand.

some upgrades you might want to make, is swap the pups, get some nice locking tuners, and maybe a different nut.
Quote by ldnovelo
Get a guitar with a vintage trem. That way its easier to change tunings and not mess with the bridge. And you can use the trem too. But get locking tuners

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG120-Electric-Guitar?sku=519426
Its not the highest end Ibamez, but its not a gio at least

Definitely not a good Ibanez I can vouche on this one.. the wood is very weak.. it goes out of tune quite alot and alot of parts go loose on it..

Edit: Just reread that you said Change the Tuners.. even still I wouldn't reccomend it.. the Floating Trem really becomes an Issue and still those other Issues..
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Peavey Generation EXP Single Coils
1997 Epiphone SG Junior
2007 Ibanez RG120
Quote by ldnovelo
Dude, better put a hot but not brootal PU like the JB. It can get hot, but not like the 81. And the 85 is just not Hot enough in the bridge. But its all personal choice

+1 for the JB, I have a JB in my Schecter Baritone and in can get pretty heavy, it also puts out cleans very well, probably quite a bit better than the EMG active pickups mentioned.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Id try out the RG321 since your looking to play drop tuned stuff. The mahogany body should go well with that since its a dark tone sounding wood like one of the above posters mentioned.