I finally got around to getting a fuse for my old EMC stereo amp, and when I plugged it in and turned it on, I got a buzzing, like when you have a bad input jack. Moments later, I got a loud sizzling sound, which flared up and then began to get quieter. I don't think it came from the speaker. At this point I turned it back off, unplugged it, and pulled the fuse out, and have been too scared of blowing it up to try it again.

It should be noted that I only had an old car speaker plugged in(I used something that no one would care if I blew up), with all volumes turned all the way down, and was using a guitar that could possibly have a loose input jack. Also, this was the first time the amp was fired up in at least 20 years. It had a blown fuse when dad bought it home, and when he used it he had an Acoustic 360, which is a powered cab...so this probably was never turned past 1.

So, this leaves me with a dilemma. The amp is old enough that it doesn't even use printed circuit boards, and the company died out in the early 80's or so, so getting this thing fixed likely wouldn't be cheap, and it's likely I could get another amp for the same price. BUT, it's a vintage stereo amp capable of producing 800 watts....more than I'd ever need, and from what I hear it sounds very good.

On the other hand, the hissing could be something that would go away(it was getting quieter) if I left it on, and the speaker buzz could be anything given what was plugged into it. ( the speaker was a 6" stocker from an old jeep comanche, spliced -not soldered- onto a 1/4" jack.) But, if I leave it on in hopes of this, and it fries something, then it's going to be more expensive to fix.

Or I could just go ahead and pay the money to have some hair guy look at it, and run the risk of spending that only to find nothing wrong with it. (just as a guess, how much would that be for something like this?)
Nope, no sig here.
I know that around here getting an amp looked at is about $80. and i'm curious. is this thing meant to be a bass amp? and of so did you match ohms on that speaker because often times car speakers are low ohm speakers.not usually ridiculously low but some are 2ohms that i've seen and old SS amps are not meant to be run at these types of loads.

I'm assuming it's SS cuz 800 watts tube would be amazingly powerful!i'd run a seperate preamp to it and just use the power tubes and blow everybody in the band on their arses with that kind of power!
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Yeah it's solid state, and runs at 2 ohms per PA...and definitely a bass amp.

It's more than $80 around here as there's not many prople to do it.
Nope, no sig here.
I'd take it to a proper amp tech, not just some hippy at your local shop. If its that old then it would definitely be worth the 80-100 bucks for someone to have a look at.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
if you think it'll sound good. and it is 800 watts. i'd definitely have it looked at.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu