Hey guys,
I've been doing photography at school lately and I have been really enjoying it and thought I would get into it. I want a camera that can take nice clear photos from short and long range. Hopefully something thats not to big. I want it the old style so no digital unless its a very good one.

These are what I have found so far.

Pentax SLR, Z-10 zoom
Nikon F-800s
Pentax MZ5 SLR
Olympus OM10
Canon AE-1
Minolta Dynax 404Si

These are all second hand and within my budget or around $200 Aus. Btw all of these are used.
So which one would be the best for me ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by soulflyV
Maybe ask a camera forum?

Or go to a camera store and ask them?

Yeah, I was just thinking with all of the people on here theres got to be a few photographers.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
There's no point relaly in getting a film SLR as a beginner as it justs ups the costs of your hobby in processing the film.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
This is about as constructive as I can get on this, but don't be drawn in just because one camera has the most megapixels. There are all sorts of attributes other than just the megapixels that lead to a quality camera.
Get a digital SLR, you need the focus ring and stuff. Digital is just so much easier and cheaper, and anything over 6 megapixels gives great quality.
Digital SLR aye, how does that work ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Same as a film SLR, but digital. The lenses are even interchangeable, it just means you get to save pictures to a memory card rather than film.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
A few of my friends have got digital SLR's. I make films myself so I have a video camera. The company to go with is JVC. They have good quality and are reliable (for both video cameras and SLR's). The only problem is my friend's camera cost about £400... But then if you are thinking of getting into photography its a good, reputable company to go with.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Demoralising women is just one of the many services we provide here at UG
I've just had a look at a few DSLR's online and new they are far to much. And I didn't see many second hand either. I would just be starting remember so, I don't really want to spend over ... $300 aus. $300 aus will get me a 6mp+ digital but thats not really what I'm after as I would never get around to printing the pictures and I've heard they arn't as high quality.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
I really suggest you take this to a dedicated photography & camera forum for the best advice my friend.
Quote by howey
I've just had a look at a few DSLR's online and new they are far to much. And I didn't see many second hand either. I would just be starting remember so, I don't really want to spend over ... $300 aus. $300 aus will get me a 6mp+ digital but thats not really what I'm after as I would never get around to printing the pictures and I've heard they arn't as high quality.

Fair enough, but whatever camera you do get make sure you get a tripod. I got mine for £13 from Play.com and it makes for great steady shots.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Demoralising women is just one of the many services we provide here at UG
Quote by howey

Unless you're printing it out for a huge picture, 6mp will rival film when it comes to regular sizes.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
I STRONGLY recommend you buy a mechanical camera, rather than an electronic one, for the simple reason that electronics fail quite frequently. Mechanical cameras will last MUCH longer and are better for learning photography (no automatic function).
If you have any q's, or anyone for that matter, just PM me, cameras are pretty much what i do (iv worked in a camera shop for years, as has the old man for his entire working life, so i like to think i know enough)

Mitch
My DeviantArt

Gear;

Vox AC50CPH
Framus FR 212 CB
Ibanez AF105
Ibanez RGT32FMSP
Line 6 DL4

If you have a camera or photography related question, i can help.

Quote by TooFast
I'd fuck the shit out of that dude.
Last edited by Themitch at May 11, 2008,
Yeah there's alot you need to know before going into film. I'd recommend you get a digital camera first, learn the basics and see if it's worth getting into.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
^ Disagree completely.

Get a digital SLR for the reason that you don't want to be paying for film constantly to process your photos whilst you learn. It will also make the learning process easier, as you'll see your result straight away, and not once you've left the scene.

I agree about some of the built in effects, you want to try to avoid these, as ideally you want to be able to do them yourself.

Some camera's I'd recommend (i.e. I want myself. :P) are the Canon 400D, Nikon D40, D50, D70 AND D400. Although I'm guessing they're considerably out of your price range.

My current camera is an Olympus E-500, it's pretty good and I'd recommend it. We got it when it was about £400 (roughly $800) but that was two years ago, so the price tag may be cheaper now. You can always check anyway.