what chords/scales do you find to be the saddest or most depressing?
My Gear:

Electrics:
Ashton AG132
Ibanez GSZ-120 SV
ESP LTD 351-D

Electric Amps:
Ashton GA100
Fender Mini Deluxe

Member of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only
I don't understand how different keys change the feeling for some people. I can't even tell a song is in a different key unless I play it back to back.
Quote by Guitar Sushi
I don't understand how different keys change the feeling for some people. I can't even tell a song is in a different key unless I play it back to back.

It was a joke, he was quoting from Spinal Tap.
have a chord progression with two minor chords the a major one to make the listeners hope that there might be a major chord at the end then plunge them even deeper into the depths pf despair with another minor chord.

You can tell i've done this before can't you?
^lul Wat?

Minor tonality (minor chords and scales) work well.

And no, different keys dont have different feelings. What gives a song its different feelings is its harmonic and melodic intervals, not the notes by themselves.
300 years ago, before equal temperment, we had a form of tuning called "just intonation." This caused 1 key to sound more consonant than all the other (I'll explain why if anyones interested) and caused all the other keys to be slightly out of tune and sound different, giving each a different feeling. But bach standardised equal temperent with his song "well tempered clavier."
Quote by demonofthenight
And no, different keys dont have different feelings.

Ummm... They still do. Despite equal temperament.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by demonofthenight
explain

I didn't mean it any kind of matter-of-fact way. I have no explanation for it whatsoever, just throwing it out there that to me, some still do. Obviously not nearly as much as in the 1800's.

Is this because of the key? I don't know. Is it because of something else that's fooling me? Likely. However, I think I know enough about music to not be fooled that easily

I'm not the only one too... I've seen various people from Jim Hall to Michel Petrucciani and all kinds of pretty good musicians talk about it, saying the same thing I am.

Still... Just an entirely subjective remark to this thread. Take from it what you will. I'm just going by my ears.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Quote by RedFez64
It would probably have a small effect on things like a piano where different notes might have thicker strings or sounds to them. Only a very small one in colouring i think i your going to get technical

Yeah, probably. I never claimed it had any significant effect though, it is indeed quite small.

Click.
It all depends on phrasing. I've heard sad songs in C Major, and I've heard exciting songs in D Minor.

For me though, I feel I can properly tap into the "anguish" and "despair" of my soul (Notice how I quoted it) properly with C Harmonic Minor.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
It all depends on phrasing. I've heard sad songs in C Major, and I've heard exciting songs in D Minor.

Well, duh. That is absolutely not what I meant though. Think of taking two exactly the same pieces, and just transposing one of them to another key.

Click.
Those emotions we extract from songs are entirely dependent on the individual's mind. Usually a standard is set in the past which makes similar sounding tunes in the future play to the same emotions.

At least that's what I think.
Quote by Archaon
Those emotions we extract from songs are entirely dependent on the individual's mind. Usually a standard is set in the past which makes similar sounding tunes in the future play to the same emotions.

At least that's what I think.

I'm inclined to agree.

Click.
I should also mention that there is usually a common denominator for most people, which is why songs in Dm and such are usually more "depressing."
I use sus2 chords alot if I'm righting a sad song. Like Am > Asus2 for example.