Ive been trying to master the Pinch Harmonic

Recently and i just cant get the techniquie right at all.

can anybidy give me a few pointers?

i really want to master it.

thanks!
first off you have to use the bridge pickup they only really work on humbuckers but theres a point on the string where they are mines right in between the neck and bridge pickup on my les paul. all u have to do is pick the string really hard (harder than normal) and stop the string at this point completely with the bottom of your thumb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5HHl-SQRIo try this as its brilliant

rock on man!
that's BS. i play with my neck pickup all the time and i still have no problem with pinches. it's all in the technique. And the fellow who posted before me is wrong about that as well.

You don't have to hit the string very hard or anything. You just need to brush the string with your finger after you strike it. Also, there are sweet spots where making a pinch harmonic will be easier.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
learn where the artificial octave harmonic is (12 frets away from note) ex: fret 12 and find the 24th fret or where it would be if you only have a 22 fret guitar, now if you fret the third string first hit the 15th fret octave harmonic and then find the 27th fret 2nd octave up harmonic. just see the space between the 15th and 27th fret as an open string. the harmonics will be there and beyond closer to the bridge. hope that makes sense.

in practice to hit a 3rd fret low e string pinch find the equivalent of the 30th fret, and as you pick use the side of you thumb on the top of the pick to brush the sweet spot of the 30th fret. and try using dunlop jazz iii's i find them easier to squeal with, a high gain setting, adding high mids an treble and look up pinch harmonics on the internet there are some very good lessons.

Current Rig:
Ltd EC1000 deluxe
Ltd FX260
Peavey Valveking 112
Shure Super 55
Shure Pg 58
Behringer Kx1200
Quote by Psychedelico
You don't have to hit the string very hard or anything. You just need to brush the string with your finger after you strike it. Also, there are sweet spots where making a pinch harmonic will be easier.

I'd actually say you'd want to avoid hitting the string very hard; all you want to do is just brush the string slightly so that the harmonic overrides the fundamental. Hitting the string to hard can cause the thumb to drag and cancel the harmonic as well.
^ good point

heres another lesson explaining pinch harmonics:

Pinch harmonic lesson

your basically just causing a natural harmonic with the thumb as it strikes the string directly after the pick.
When you're picking, try and sort of push so that your thumb brushes the string.

As it is, you can get PH out of humbuckers and single coils, and though it's harder depending on your setup, they can come out with both neck and bridge pickup, though on my PRS w/ P90s in it PH are nearly impossible to get w/ the neck pickup.

Also, you have to learn where to pick the string at, as it's different for every note. That's the sweet spot. Yes, there is some mathematical, theory related reason for why it is easiest to do harmonics on that specific place, and lots of people are always like, "THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A SWEET SPOT!!11!!!!"

Well, yes, there is. Sort of.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Here's the advice my guitar teacher gave me, and it proved to be very true, at least for me. Here it is:

Don't worry much about it if you don't get it right away, just try it a little, and it will become second nature. Sure enough, I can pinch harmonic all over the place.

People tell you that certain guitars or pickups or amps or whatever can't do pinch harmonics. Simply. Not. True. You can pinch whether clean or distorted, neck or bridge, single coil or humbucker.

The easiest advice to give is to keep playing, try it for a bit every once in a while, and give it time. In a few months you'll be able to play them just like Zakk Wilde, amazing everyone that doesn't play guitar, and annoying anyone that does.

A couple tricks to learn it faster, use the bridge pickup, preferably a humbucker, crank up some really heavy distortion, hold the pick so your thumb is right on the tip, and brush the string with your thumb. Once you begin learning it, turn down the distortion, and work on getting the harmonics quicker.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by gooooog
first off you have to use the bridge pickup they only really work on humbuckers but theres a point on the string where they are mines right in between the neck and bridge pickup on my les paul. all u have to do is pick the string really hard (harder than normal) and stop the string at this point completely with the bottom of your thumb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5HHl-SQRIo try this as its brilliant

rock on man!

1. Every guitar is different its not true to say you have to use bridge pickup. Maybe on your guitar its that way not on mine.
2. You dont have to hit the string harder at all thats simply not true. Its all about that second contact a millisecond after the string is struck and proper location. I can do them with a tiny pluck and make it scream or hit it hard that has nothing to do with it.
3. You dont have to only use your thumb try doing it with your index finger or 2cnd finger if you use 2 on an upstroke. I can pinch down with my thumb or up with my index. The key is finding what works for you with your setup and what your comfortably with. So expiriment and practice till you find waht works for you. Good luck man keep at it.
I had problems with those aswell. but I finally figured it out myself. I found it helpful to do a rotation motion while you pick so that your thumb's exterior side touches the string right after picking. I couldn't manage to do them before I figured out this by myself.

Like the above poster said, work on unerstanding the principe of pinching. When you understood what must be done, find out which technique you feel more confortable with. And when that is done, all left is practice. Also like others said, ever notes has a spot where it should sound better/more. Find it for the note you wanna play, and then practice.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

1 question thats driving me mad

how to do a pinch harmonic when you UPSTROKE

you touch the string with your index finger or what, i tried, and looks really difficult
^That's the most common way to do it, yes, but a lot of people simply recommend doing all your pinch harmonics on downstrokes. It's a lot easier and usually gives a more defined sound.
^ Its different for everybody I can make them just as good down or up definatly does not seem any harder either way to me. A down stroke pinch does not give you a more defined sound than an upstroke thats just you. I would advise on trying to learn both eventually because then you can use which is more efficeint based on the lick and theoretically play faster that someone who had to downstroke a p.h. when an upstroke is the most econmical direction. It gives you more freedom in improv as well you can just pinch any note you want when alt picking without tripping over yourself to get on a downstroke.
all pinch harmonics on downstrokes ... yes sounds fine, but it never happens that you want to play a series or harmonics really fast? you need to alternate picking, so you need to do harmonics both downstroke and upstroke

or am I missing something? :S
Quote by /-\liceNChains
^ Its different for everybody I can make them just as good down or up definatly does not seem any harder either way to me. A down stroke pinch does not give you a more defined sound than an upstroke thats just you. I would advise on trying to learn both eventually because then you can use which is more efficeint based on the lick and theoretically play faster that someone who had to downstroke a p.h. when an upstroke is the most econmical direction. It gives you more freedom in improv as well you can just pinch any note you want when alt picking without tripping over yourself to get on a downstroke.

just what i thought :_p, gotta get working on my index finger then
Yea for me it was just like learning to do it with the thumb. Once you figured out the spot you need and get the feel it just takes repitition and now it takes no thought or effort. Just keep at it and it will come just like anything else. Good luck.
What's weird for me, personally, is that pinch harmonics are really easy to do on the E, A, and D strings with an upstroke, but almost impossible to do with a downstroke, while on the G,B, and e strings the opposite is true.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
^ LOL. I hear you man they can be wierd. I couldnt do them for **** on the E and A on my strat but then i bought a yamaha sbg200 ( for 80$ its a total sleeper ) and i could. I want to take the sbg200 which i repaired beacuase of broken headstock and sand it down repaint it and puck Zack Wylde EMG 81/85s and set it up for a whole step down. That will be my main gun for pinch filled metal songs. Its set neck mahogany wieghs a ton and has ****loads of sustain and sounds good with only one pickup working in it now. After its all setup its gonna kick ass. Best 80$ i ever spent if you see one grab it.

Sorry to rant about my project but back on topic it can depend on your gear like weve already mentioned.
I have been practicing, but i finally got the hand of low E harmonics. It starting to get easy, and it is a little different (in the way i taught myself) then harmonics on other strings.(which is like palm muting for me now its that easy xD).
are there any good pointers that can help me master the low E harmonics?
If you are hearing it on the low e but its just not ringing thro the amp like on other strings it may be your gear. I hit em on my strat on the low E and it sounds like a harmonic but it just wont scream like the other strings. I try a million ways it just wont do it. Then on the above mentioned yamaha it does them much better. I think its the pickups so you could possibly be doing them right. Go to a guitar store and try some differnt setups and see if you can do it on a different guitar with more 2 humbuckers or something.

What guitar amp and distortion pedal are you using?