Does anyone have any good advice as to quickly learning the patterns for the various major, minor, and mode scale positions. I have been stuck in a penatonic rut and am trying to break out. Any links to lessons, tabs, or whatever would be appreciated.
Ok first off u need to gather ur 12 notes in music

C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B

Now a tone Equals 2 so for example a tone from C = D, and a Tone from D = E
A semi tone equals 1 so for example Semi tone from C = C#

To make a major scale u need to have this patter
T, T, S, T, T, T, S
now to make A Major for example it would be A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#,

To make a minor the pattern is
T, S, T, T, S, T
now to make A minor it goes A, B, C, D, E, F, G

Now to make Dorian Mode
T, S, T, T,T, S
For a A Dorian, it goes A, B, C, D, E, F#, G

and To make Phrygian Mode
S, T, T, T, S, T
so for A Phrygian it goes A, A#, C, D, E, F, G
Last edited by Martindecorum at May 11, 2008,
Quote by Martindecorum
learn the system of Tones and semi tones if u wish me to explain just let me no

Ionian is the 1st Major Mode, commonly known as the major scale. The formula for intervals of the major scale as Martindecorum suggested to learn is; TTSTTTS (CDEFGABC). This is C major or C Ionian

-----------------------------------------------------10-12-13
-----------------------------------------10-12-13
-------------------------------9-10-12
---------------------9-10-12
-----------8-10-12
-8-10-12

Next is D Dorian, but learn this one first. Go to the lesson section on this site and type in 'Modes', there should be loadsa stuff, but if u struggle with it then let us know.
^That is a way to play C Ionian. It exists all over the neck. While I would call that C Ionian simply because it starts on C, in a harmonic context, it could be any one of the 6 other relative scales.

Remember, although I make a big deal about C Major and its modes not being the same thing, they do contain the same notes. You don't have to memorize lots of patterns for C Major, the more for A Minor, then more for the other 5 modes. Once you've got C major, you've got all of them; you just phrase differently to emphasize the root if its not C (generally, you can do what you want).
Quote by phllp
Does anyone have any good advice as to quickly learning the patterns for the various major, minor, and mode scale positions. I have been stuck in a penatonic rut and am trying to break out. Any links to lessons, tabs, or whatever would be appreciated.

You can get the Major and minor patterns here:

Major and minor scale patterns

You should learn these before learning the modes.
They're not Tabs ..but patterns you ask for...as if you're looking down
at the fretboard.

Major Penta...this is the C maj penta
----------------------------
----------------------------
-----2---------------5----
-----2---------------5----
---------3-----------5----
---------------------------

ionian
-------------------------------
----2----------4-----5-------
----2---3------------5-------
---------3------------5-------

Mixolian
------------------------------
------------------------------
---2---3--------------5-----
---2---3--------------5-----
--------3--------------5----
-----------------------------

Lydian
---2--------------4---5----
---2--------------4---5----
--------3--------------5----

==========================================================

Minor Pentatonic as Cmin penta

-------------------------------------------
-------3--------------5-------------------
-------3--------------5-------------------
-------3--------------------6-------------

Aerolian
------3---------------5-------------------
------3---------------5-----6------------
------3---------------5-----6------------

Dorian
--2---3---------------5------------------
------3----------------5-----------------
------3----------------5----6-----------
------------------------------------------

Phyrgian
-----------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------
------3----------------5---------------
------3----------------5-----6--------
------3---4------------------6--------
----------------------------------------

locrian
------3--------------5-----------------
------3-----4----------------6--------
------3-----4----------------6--------

harnomic minor
---------------------------------------
--------------4-----5-----------------
------3-------------5------6---------
------3-------------5------6---------
Last edited by Ordinary at May 11, 2008,
Ordinary, look over those tabs. There are some errors, such as your Lydian scale.

Moreover, those are not THE way to play the scales. Without context, they are named correctly, but if that "C Harmonic Minor" scale is played over G7, it is G Phrygian Dominant, not C Harmonic Minor.
what error ???...they're not tabs

They are C whatever.....just one octive pattern.

Move them around accordingly.
Last edited by Ordinary at May 11, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Moreover, those are not THE way to play the scales. Without context, they are named correctly, but if that "C Harmonic Minor" scale is played over G7, it is G Phrygian Dominant, not C Harmonic Minor.

when someone asks for scale patterns, isnt context kind of irrelevant. Those patterns are correct as far as I can tell.

Quote by Ordinary
what error ???...they're not tabs

They are C whatever.....just one octive pattern.

there is no error man. Just people looking to point out errors for the sake of it.... what you wrote is fine.

The only thing I would point out is that instead of referring to Ionian and Aeolian, I would probably have just used their more common names: Major and minor.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 11, 2008,
The CAGED system will show all the layout of the scales, pents, modes, and triads on your fretboard.

And it's movable.
No. There is an error. His Lydian scale only shows 5 strings. If you assume the lowest string to be E, then his scale actually starts on G.

Quote by GuitarMunky
when someone asks for scale patterns, isnt context kind of irrelevant.
Yes and no. To assign a mode to a pattern is part of the way someone gets to think that you can play G Mixolydian over an Am progression.

If you assume his C Dorian scale to be THE way to be C Dorian and nothing else, then you would be correct in thinking that you can play C Dorian over a Gm progression, and that is obviously not the case.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
No. There is an error. His Lydian scale only shows 5 strings. If you assume the lowest string to be E, then his scale actually starts on G.

its just the pattern. it doesnt really matter. Its G lydian if you start on G.

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Yes and no. To assign a mode to a pattern is part of the way someone gets to think that you can play G Mixolydian over an Am progression.

no its not. all scales, including modes can be seen as patterns on the neck. It has nothing to do with peoples lack of understanding of modes.

Quote by bangoodcharlote

If you assume his C Dorian scale to be THE way to be C Dorian and nothing else, then you would be correct in thinking that you can play C Dorian over a Gm progression, and that is obviously not the case.

its just a scale pattern. scale patterns dont give people misconceptions about application. That happens because of a lack of understanding. And you can play the G mixolydian pattern over an Am, it will sound fine, you will just hear all the notes as they relate to Am.

All he was doing was giving the guy some patterns, which is what was asked for.
Everything was correct.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at May 11, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
its just the pattern. it doesnt really matter. Its G lydian if you start on G.

I think this might be where the misunderstanding comes from; theoretically you're correct in terms of the scale, but it needs to be clear that the tonal center and harmonic context are much more important in determining modality than the starting note. That's what I'd say needed to be cleared up.
Quote by :-D
I think this might be where the misunderstanding comes from; theoretically you're correct in terms of the scale, but it needs to be clear that the tonal center and harmonic context are much more important in determining modality than the starting note. That's what I'd say needed to be cleared up.

nothing needs to be cleared up. The guy just gave what the TS asked for. There was nothing wrong with it. Someone could have gave additional advice on application, but there was no reason to shoot down what he wrote, it was perfectly fine.
Quote by GuitarMunky
nothing needs to be cleared up. The guy just gave what the TS asked for. There was nothing wrong with it. Someone could have gave additional advice on application, but there was no reason to shoot down what he wrote, it was perfectly fine.

I don't think anything was necessarily shot down, but that application aspect is far more important than the notes of the modes. It had to be said, and now it has been said.
Well no. When he gives every scale in C and then a G Lydian scale, that is a source of confusion. Moreover, it needs to be clear that the scales' names can change depending on the harmonic context (and you know enough theory to know this is true).

I'm all for being pragmatic, but we also need to be accurate.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Well no. When he gives every scale in C and then a G Lydian scale, that is a source of confusion. Moreover, it needs to be clear that the scales' names can change depending on the harmonic context (and you know enough theory to know this is true).

I'm all for being pragmatic, but we also need to be accurate.

It was fine just as is. Its easy to tell where each of those 1 octave patterns start and end.

If you want to be clear on harmonic context, why dont you just post your own advice in addition to what others took the time out to share. that would be alot more helpful.

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Ordinary, look over those tabs. There are some errors, such as your Lydian scale.

talk about confusing. and yeah smiley, I would call that "shooting down" ordinarys post.
Quote by GuitarMunky
talk about confusing. and yeah smiley, I would call that "shooting down" ordinarys post.

It's really an issue of semantics, but as far as I'm concerned that was simply correcting something, and was not done in a way suggestive of "shooting down" his ideas.
It's really an issue of semantics, but as far as I'm concerned that was simply correcting something, and was not done in a way suggestive of "shooting down" his ideas.

that post didnt correct anything.
I personally think it did. We're not going to agree on this.

Done.

Im sure you did.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

It works when you move the pattern up to the E string too..
just incase the bottom sting pops.lol
Excuse me for leaving out the top E string.

Just inserted two notes back into the maj or minor pentatonic.

All i did was gave him some simple patterns his ask for...

Is this the correct way to play a scale ? I just shuffled it to the A
and kinda stretched or expaned it
http://boomp3.com/listen/d43zif1/mixst
Last edited by Ordinary at May 12, 2008,