well first of all, i was trying to learn a song that required slapping on an open g string then hammering on a lot, but for some reason when i hit my thumb on the g string it does not slap. it is like a harmonic like not (not a tap harmonic, i tried in many difrent positions but they were all the same), and when i hammered on the note it actually did a natural harmonic noise (if i hammered on a c or d on the g string, it would make the harmonic of that fret). i tried this on another bass and i was fine, so it must be wrong with the guitar. you guys have any ideas what it could be??
Pop it instead?
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Intonation is off, maybe? I dunno. Never heard of that happening before.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Quote by Mongoose87
Pop it instead?

well im playing a p-bass suiqer, so that might be it. but i cant pop it cause im trying to learn classical thump :S
Quote by bassbrotha
well im playing a p-bass suiqer, so that might be it. but i cant pop it cause im trying to learn classical thump :S

and if it helps, if i dont' hammer on and play any closed fret, it slaps normally
You generally do not slap on the D and G strings. And when you do, you are purposely trying to do a harmonic.

Slapping=E and A strings.
Popping=D and G strings.
The.
lol g string problem.

But seriously.

Slapping on the G string will do you no good. D and G strings are only good for popping. Slapping on them won't get you much of a sound because it's a thinner string.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
Don't listen, D and G's are both great for slapping. As for your problem I'm almost guaranteeing it has something to do with where you're slapping on the string. Are you slapping over the fretboard? If you are and you don't normally, you're probably hitting a harmonic on the string.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Don't listen, D and G's are both great for slapping. As for your problem I'm almost guaranteeing it has something to do with where you're slapping on the string. Are you slapping over the fretboard? If you are and you don't normally, you're probably hitting a harmonic on the string.

Listen to jazzy on this one. Les Claypool slaps the D and G sting all the time. I know Claypool better than I know other artist so I just used him as an example.... look at Golden Boy, One Better,... oh the list goes on.

It is either a technique problem (most likely) or a set-up problem (less likely, but not out of the question) Slapping the G and D is harder than slapping the E and the A. Keep at it, build up strength in your whole arm not just your wrist.