Yesterday, i went to GC, bought a BadAss II bridge, and got some Fender Custom Shop 60's Jazz pups put in my bass.

after the guy was done, i went back to GC and hooked my bass up to Ampeg 810 and a B2RE head (I have the SVT450 @ my house, but... they're the same thing).

i started playing, and i was getting that mean growl from my E string, and i was getting that really crunchy tone all through the mids and stuff, and it was awesome.

but when i got home, i plugged in, and my E string had lost its growl... but my mids still had that really loud crunchy sound.

so now when im playing something on my A string, then switch over to my E string.. it goes from like..... loud and crunchy.. to soft/sweet/buttery.... and it kinda kills.

any suggestions on how to get the growl back on my E string, but keep that loud crunch on my mids?
do the strings need to be changed? that could be one explination maybe. It also could of been the diffrent amps you used.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
It's probably because you use a different cabinet (if you do of course)
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
EQ the same?

Sounds like it may be different.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Off topic... But was it really a big upgrade getting both of those products... Im considering purchasing them to pimp out my crappy MIM jazz.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
i would imagine that the bass knob is just a little different. just try tweaking that a little. or maybe check the knobs on your bass. maybe a tone knob got turned by accident. happens to me all the time. when i play my bass through my peavey vb-2 it sounds just how i want it to unless one of my basses active eq knobs are turned. for some reason on that amp if i don't have the active eq knobs centered it makes my tone bland and ugly. just a thought.

of course it could be like punkrocker said. different cabinets can make a big difference. especially with different size speakers and the cabinets could be tuned to a different frequency.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
strings were put on about 5 days ago.

and.... i thought i mentioned it, but i guess i didnt, i have the same cab @ my house

Ampeg SVT810 Cab
Ampeg SVT450 Head (same as B2RE @ GC)

ive messed w/ the EQ.... my bass isnt getting that crunchy tone anymore... just regardless of EQ, ive scooped mids, cut mids, boosted the bass up...... hmmm........ when i boost the bass, it just shakes my house more and makes it deeper, it still stays buttery smooth though....
Last edited by PedRoFTWkiddies at May 11, 2008,
Quote by MV4824
Oh jebus.... the sh*t that is "Guitar Center" is acceptably known as "GC" to you all now?

..ugh..... Well in any case, maybe your equalization is different from the amp at "LOL GEE SEE".

What's your point?

Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
strings were put on about 5 days ago.

and.... i thought i mentioned it, but i guess i didnt, i have the same cab @ my house

Ampeg SVT810 Cab
Ampeg SVT450 Head (same as B2RE @ GC)

ive messed w/ the EQ.... my bass isnt getting that crunchy tone anymore... just regardless of EQ, ive scooped mids, cut mids, boosted the bass up...... hmmm........ when i boost the bass, it just shakes my house more and makes it deeper, it still stays buttery smooth though....

Scooping mids and cutting mids are pretty much equivalent, no? Either way, I always attributed 'growl' to mids so cutting them isn't exactly going to get you growl.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but are Fender Custom Shop 60's Jazz PUs even supposed to be "growly?"

Are you sure you weren't attributing your strings clacking against the frets as "growl?"

It just doesn't make sense if you keep your previous settings to suddenly lose the "growl" unless it was something to do with the setup at GC.
I'm gonna guess that the growl you heard before was your strings hitting your frets. Not like buzz, but fret noise like Flea, Geddy Lee, or Victor Wooten. After that bridge change, maybe your action changed a bit and now your E is higher than the rest of your strings. That higher action means it will stay clear of the frets and the string is also farther from the pickup so the output will be lower. Try putting the E string's action just a pinch lower and see what happens.
Got Bass?
Quote by Charlatan_001
Scooping mids and cutting mids are pretty much equivalent, no?

Nah. If you cut your mids, you make'em lower. If you scoop, you make them ZERO.

The logic is that the number 0 looks like an ice cream scoop.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
maybe area?
my house has wooden floors, it makes me a lot bassier and more sustainy.
when I play at my church, I have to boost the lows to get the same tone.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by WhyLater
Nah. If you cut your mids, you make'em lower. If you scoop, you make them ZERO.

The logic is that the number 0 looks like an ice cream scoop.

I thought it was because on a graphic EQ if you put the mids all the way down your EQ looks like a scoop? >> U <<
Got Bass?
what kind of strings are you using?
some strings lost theri growliness and birgthnes really fast
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by MV4824
Oh jebus.... the sh*t that is "Guitar Center" is acceptably known as "GC" to you all now?

..ugh..... Well in any case, maybe your equalization is different from the amp at "LOL GEE SEE".

Spam. Warned.
Im using straight fender strings, Super Bass Mediums.

the ones that come standard.

and. ive messed w/ the action on my E string, and its either too low, and the buzz is horribad, or its too high, and doesnt get th at crunchy growl.

ill mess w/ it more after school today.
thnks for the help everyone.
its probably the new pickups, rather than crunching out, the new pickups probably have more clarity than your old ones. yielding a smoother more in control sound.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
its probably the new pickups, rather than crunching out, the new pickups probably have more clarity than your old ones. yielding a smoother more in control sound.

i realize the that..... but, the A String still gets that crunchy tone, same w/ D and G strings.........

the E string just sounds, mellow and buttery...... its really annoying when im playing on the A string, and then i go down to the E string, and it sounds completely different....
Quote by Sly Taco
Raise your pickups on the E string side a bit sonny.

i agree. it could easily be that the pickup isnt as close to your E string as it is to your others
It might be the strings. But the amp at GC's settings are probably a lot different then yours.
Governor of the Jersey Rocks group
PM me to join
Quote by MV4824
Ha, sorry.. I just hate Guitar Center, I believe it is overrated and you are basically buying a guitar in a box thrown on the wall.

As opposed to....?
Quote by PedRoFTWkiddies
dr. Will, nice avy.

ska FTW?

thanks! SKA FTW!

anyway, to be relevent, have you had any luck with the bass? i still agree with the pickup thing. in my jbass the bracket that supported my neck pickup broke so it sunk down into the body and pretty much took all the "balls" out of my sound. its fixed now and sounds much better
haha its all good, but thats great to hear you solved the problem!!
Quote by Sly Taco
Might have been too close to the strings I guess.

That would make sense. If the pickup were to be close to the strings, it would sound much louder amd bassier with less clarity.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
yea... thatmakes sense now.

because @ first the pickup was mega close, and i was getting a really bassy muddy-ish sound, now it sounds a lot better. especially when i played sum Strokes last night... mmmmmm
perhaps the saddle budged a bit on the way home?

check your action i'd say and saddle position, it might be that the covered part at the end is deadening the sound or something
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.