Light travels faster than sound, so you see the lightning before you hear the thunder.
So if you count between seeing the flash and hearing the thunder, you can calculate how far away the lightning crash was.

How many miles/km is it per seconds difference?

Also, share your thunder & lightning thoughts... if such things exist.
WEll, its not that important to be ultra-accurate, I'd just like to know. 1mile/1sec? sounds to convienient.
Quote by KevVin
Light travels faster than sound, so you see the lightning before you hear the thunder.
So if you count between seeing the flash and hearing the thunder, you can calculate how far away the lightning crash was.

How many miles/km is it per seconds difference?

Also, share your thunder & lightning thoughts... if such things exist.

Why would thunder and lightning occur at the exactly the same time?
There is no way to calculate how far away it was, as thunder will occur at a different time to lightning (is seems logical). Plus, you'd have no idea when the event actually happened, so you'd have no idea what the time difference is.
So, you can't find it out.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Calculating distance

A flash of lightning, followed after some seconds by a rumble of thunder, is for many people the first illustration of the fact that sound (like light) does not travel instantaneously, and that sound is by far the slower. Using this difference, one can estimate how far away the bolt of lightning is by timing the interval between seeing the flash and hearing thunder. The speed of sound in air is approximately 344 m/s or 1130 feet per second or 762 mph. The speed of light can be assumed to be infinite in this calculation because one must know that there has been a lightning strike before starting counting. Therefore, the lightning is approximately one kilometer distant for every 2.9 seconds (or one mile for every 4.6 seconds). In the same five seconds the light could have circled the globe 37 times. Thunder is seldom heard at distances over 24 kilometers (15 miles).

Wikipedia saves the day.
Thunder is the sound of the Lightning.

Just thaught I'd throw that in here.
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
EDIT: I forgot. Thunder is lightning. I feel really stupid.

4 Seconds difference = 1 mile away.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at May 11, 2008,
speed of light = 3x10^8 m/s

speed of sound = 340.29 m/s

As light travels so fast you can say that when you see the flash that is almost the exact instance of the thunder. Then start timing

1 mile = 1.6kilometers

So every 4.7 seconds is a mile (roughly) .
1km for 3 seconds.

Speed of sound = ~330m/s
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
It's about 330m distance away for every 1-second of delay between the flash and the thunder.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by FrenchyFungus
1km for 3 seconds.

Speed of sound = ~330m/s

Word, so therefore about 5 seconds to a mile.

You're too close to the flash to consider the speed of light, so consider it to be instantaneous.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Simsimius
EDIT: I forgot. Thunder is lightning. I feel really stupid.

4 Seconds difference = 1 mile away.

I was about to fire blast you then :P haha, well thanks for that. ~330m/s. or for ease of memory, 4 n a half = 1 mile.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Who actually gives a crap?

If you do, then why?

If the lightning storm is close it's better to unplug your stuff.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Who actually gives a crap?

If you do, then why?

If you're feeling suicidal you can tell if you're walking in the right dirrection.

Also works if your not feeling suicidal.
yeaits only 3 and it looks like its about 8. its really dark outside. windy too. and rain. i should lose power in about 3....2...