I just joined a band this week. Its a hardcore/grindcore band so we do a lot of heavy stuff.

Our guitarist is using a 280 watt Marshall I believe. Of course he isnt using it all the way up.

Im currently using a OLP mm2 bass and a behringer bx180 amp combo.

What should I upgrade first? Im not sure if the amp is loud enough, I used it at practice and I can be heard over drums, and with the guitar amp, but if the guitar is turned up I dont know?

What do you think is more of a necesity?
Bass amp, definately.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
id say bass behringer makes some kick ass stuff 180 proll work for small venues and jamming
I have no complaints with the amp, I get great tone if I mess around with it. And it gets loud.

I just want to make sure it is enough for a band that will just play small shows, like small venues and at the beach and etc.
for under 400 i guess this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Electric-Blue-15180-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=485037

but I highly recommend you go a bit higher. even if he doesn't turn up he's blowing you out of the water with that amp. bass needs about 3-4x wattage to equal the samvolume. since he isn't going to turn up i'd got at least 2x volume and makes sure it's got a xlr out to go to a PA.

Something more like this. plus whatever cabinets you want to go with it. it can support 2 8ohm cabs.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-MAG-600H-Bass-Amp-Head-?sku=480429

EDIT: if you're happy with your behringer i can't wait to hear what you say about a better amp. behringer is well known for shoddy craftmanship and unreliability. also they lie about their wattage. that 180 stands for what it can push out with all knobs up for about 1second. it actually only pushes out 90-110 otherwise. they rate theirs at peak while other manufacturers use rms.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at May 11, 2008,
Behringer are not a good company. Their gear not only is rated at Peak Wattage, rather than RMS (meaning you get less watts than they say) but their quality control is piss poor too.

At this price, there isn't a lot on offer loud enough for you. Save up more is my suggestion. Maybe look at Carvin?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Revelation
since he isn't going to turn up i'd got at least 2x volume and makes sure it's got a xlr out to go to a PA.

2x the volume is about a 10x increase in wattage.

The bass shouldnt be twice as loud as the guitar anyway, depending on the situation, it should be louder, but definatly not twice as loud!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
sorry i meant 2x wattage. typo.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by guilty09
id say bass behringer makes some kick ass stuff 180 proll work for small venues and jamming

kys plz.

Ur gonna need to get a bigger amp, OLP MM's arent too bad, u culd prlly use that for awhile. i perso nally love that MM tone.

but anyways, if ur guitarist is using a 280 marshall, ur gnna need something BIGG if u want to be heard.

Behringer=poop, dont ever get any behringer again, ever ever ever.