I bought a used Mesa f 50 a couple weeks ago and am loving it. The only problem is that the amp rattle very badly when I turn the amp up more than a quarter of the way. I sounds worse playing the low e on the clean channel then anything. I think it's the tubes or maybe the reverb tank. Any ideas?
Have you checked all the bolts holding stuff on? Make sure the speaker bolts are tight, bolts holding the tank in, screws holding the back panel on, etc...
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I've noticed Mesa amps tend to rattle a lot. I've had a lonestar and a roadster and they both did it, plus I've heard the same things about the F-50s

You can try another one at the store you got it if it's really bad... But you can just write it off as a downfall of a combo amp.

On the bright side, that kind of rattle disappears during gigs, so you'd only really hear it when you're playing alone.
Ok I've found that the power amp tubes are whats rattling. I held them both and lightly hit the top of the amp and the rattling stopped. Can i screw them in better or something? Or do i need new tubes?
Good choice in amp man, I love mine too. At times when I play at home I hear a little rattle myself, and it sounds like it could be the tubes. But then I remember there are 6 light bulbs over my head on the ceiling. So yea, check the amp itself, make sure everything is tightened down, then check the room you are playing in and see if there are any loose objects that could be rattling because of the sound vibrations.

*EDIT* Hey man, I just saw you already got it down to the power tubes. Then mine must be the same problem go figure. Anyway, I wouldnt mind finding an answer to this.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by PeavyXXXman
Ok I've found that the power amp tubes are whats rattling. I held them both and lightly hit the top of the amp and the rattling stopped. Can i screw them in better or something? Or do i need new tubes?

New tubes might be a good idea just for tone's sake if you're using the stock ones, the rebranded Sovteks that come with Mesas get a lot of flak.
I'd rather tighten them for now if thats possible but im afraid to put much pressure on them. How do i take them out/ put new ones in? Would i need to rebias it if im using the same 6l6 type tubes?
Quote by PeavyXXXman
I'd rather tighten them for now if thats possible but im afraid to put much pressure on them. How do i take them out/ put new ones in? Would i need to rebias it if im using the same 6l6 type tubes?

Step 1: Take out old tubes.
Step 2: Put new tubes in.

Really, it's that simple. Rebiasing isn't necessary, they're fixed bias.
have you tried taking the tubes out, and bending the metal tube retainers in a little, so they hold the tubes more tightly?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
the problem is ive tried turning them both in both directions and its held in their tight. Do i just turn to the left and it will come out? I wonder if somethings loose inside the tube.
Quote by PeavyXXXman
the problem is ive tried turning them both in both directions and its held in their tight. Do i just turn to the left and it will come out? I wonder if somethings loose inside the tube.

oh no, never try to spin them, they don't screw out. They pull straight out, on pins. There is a plastic "key" in the center of the pins that helps you align them correctly. You can wiggle them slightly to nudge them out slowly, just don't rock them too much.
amp clips
amp vids