I've been playing guitar for about four years now and i can play rhythm guitar fairly well, but when it comes to playing the solo i completely lose it. Its really frustrating to play with my friends and having to skip the solo. I'm pretty good at soloing on my own stuff but having to read and learn a solo for a cover song is just something i can't do. Do you have any suggestions on what i can do to help me learn the solos?
A computer software called Guitar-Pro helped me alot. I will not link it because that would be considered advertisement, but I know there are free trials of it. Basically you can change the tempo of the solo so that it plays at a slower rate, and it also shows the fretboard and the notes being hit, it is insanely helpful for learning fast notes.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
You could of course, try the 21 day challenge sticky and see if it works for you.
Quote by Rockin_Runner
I've been playing guitar for about four years now and i can play rhythm guitar fairly well, but when it comes to playing the solo i completely lose it. Its really frustrating to play with my friends and having to skip the solo. I'm pretty good at soloing on my own stuff but having to read and learn a solo for a cover song is just something i can't do. Do you have any suggestions on what i can do to help me learn the solos?

Learn them slowly and take your time - also, make sure you're using your ears. Listen to the solo a few times and concentrate on momorising the sound in your head - if you can remember it well enough to sing it from memory it'll be a lot easier to learn to play it.

Also, make sure you know your theory as knowing to see what chords the solo is played over being able to work out the scale used helps an awful lot when it comes to actually learning solos.

When it comes to the actual learning of a solo just break it up into manageable sections, start with something easy like Highway to Hell by AC/DC
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yep. Whether or not it's way to easy, start with something very easy like ^ Highway to Hell or smells like teen spirit. Then move up, maybe to some Zepplin, then megadeth (If you like that kind of music) and metallica.

Combination of practicing the actual solo and then solos in general will help a bunch.
Well, you don't have to play the solo note for note if your playing in a band. What you can do is learn the main melodic areas of the solo, the bits someone would recognise, and take all the fast bits, and just label them "fast bits" in your head. when you play the solo, keep (roughly) to the melodic parts, and for the fast parts play something that has a similar rthym, structure or style over them. no one will notice. Besides, most solo's are improvised on the spot originally anyway. If you go and see a band play live, the chances are this is what the guitarist will be doing on stage.
I find it easier to lean a solo if I've heard it a bunch of times and basically know how it goes...I don't really learn many songs though...I prefer improv since I'm lazy
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
-memorize all the notes that need to be hit throughout the solo and in the correct order.
-practice the solo WITH the correct rythm but at a really slow tempo. Make sure to play it at the actual tempo just slowed down (ie: not making up your own rythms w/the same notes).
-knowing how the solo sounds like others have said will make a big difference when it actually comes time to play it.
-PRACTICE!!! one thing that you cannot do is to expect miracles over night. You should be able to hear a slight improvement everyday though...just not a groudbreaking fast paced peace of perfection overnight. It takes a lot of time to become a great guitar player which is why we don't often hear too many of them.

By expecting yourself to play an extremely hard solo perfect in a short period of time is a horrible approach. You're just asking for failure. Every night you'll beat down your self-esteem and adventually just give up...most importantly HAVE FUN! Everytime you improve on a part of the solo, even if it's little you should look at it as a step forward.

I hope some of that helped.

-Peter
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
I suck at solos and have to practice at them A LOT to get them right.

What I do is just to memorize it NOTE BY NOTE, then I kinda throw it together in my own way, that way its easier for me and I don't feel all awkward playing.

Just really focus on the sound, and try to emulate that I guess... the sound is definitely the most important obviously xD