Hello Everyone,

It's summer time again which means ill be working to build up some cash, and im in need of a new amp! It was about this time last year that i bought my first tube amp and i figured it would last me a good couple years. Well, as it turns out a LOT has changed since then. I'm now in a band(which means ill need more watts) and my taste in music has changed slightly. I'm looking for an amp which has excellent cleans as well as great highish-gain(think Opeth type music without death metal vocals :p. I want to be able to make music which switches between clean and gain channels in basicly every song. I know that's a lot to ask, but its what i need. I don't want to spend a TON however because im only 16 years old. So i have come to you UG to help me decide. I've looked into B-52, and Bugera but reliablity is a huge issue with me considering i live quite a ways from the neariest guitar shop, and with the price of gas its a tough go getting to one in need of an emergency. It would also be helpful if the amp dident go through tubes like crazy.

To some up what i just typed i need an amp that has:

Enough watts for band practice/gigging(not major gigs)
Excellent clean's and highish gain(not death metal high gain, think Opeth/Megadeth)
Reliable
2 Or More Channels(Footswitchable)
FX Loop
Can't cost a billion dollars

I've searched the forums and the internet, but i just cant find one that fits all of these. So if you can help me out i would be much pleased.

THANK YOU!
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
Yes, i do want a tube amp.
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
Basicly i dont want to spend a ton. Im looking at like 600-700 at most, but its looking to me like i may just have to save a while longer and try to get something really nice like a Engl to get both excellent cleans and high gain. Oh well
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus
Maybe a Randall RG50TC, used mesa f30/50, 5150/6505, Valveking.
Last edited by Geartrigger at May 14, 2008,
Quote by jetsrule281
Basicly i dont want to spend a ton. Im looking at like 600-700 at most, but its looking to me like i may just have to save a while longer and try to get something really nice like a Engl to get both excellent cleans and high gain. Oh well

By cleans do you want Fender bright cleans or will Metallica type of cleans work for you. And you mentioned Opeth so that narrows it down to Laney amps.
The Laney VH100R is PERFECT for you. That's what Opeth use as well.

Ibanez RG1550 with Bareknuckle Nailbombs and Mothers Milk
1976 Gibson SG Standard
Peavey 6505
Framus 2x12 (V30s)