Hey I need some help with sprucing up my solos.

As of now, I usually just solo in E pentatonic minor or C Major, neither of these scales work well for me when I add distortion. They sound great clean, but not distorted.

I was wondering if you could give me somewhat easy scales to solo in, that would sound good using distortion. I play rock and metal, and I would use these scales to solo in that genre.

Thanks.
you probably just have a bad distortion setting because if you are soloing right, any scale can potentially sound good with it. I use both scales all the time with distortion and it sounds awesome.
Let me rephrase the question, and you're probably right, I'm soloing wrong or something.

What are some scales that are commonly used in rock and metal?
Dude E minor is as metal as it get besides the Almighty Harmonic Minor scale . I mean if u listen to a Megadeth or Metallica song there is a good chance the that the solos in it are In E Minor. Examples Enter Sandman , Holy Wars, Fade To Black, Parts of And Justice for all the list goes on. O by the way A Minor is a very popular scale in Hard rock. Players like Jimmy Page and Angus Young , and Jimi Hendrix use it often. You Know it already C major Pentatonic and A Minor are they exact same pattern except the the root notes are obvisously different. Play some barre chords in the key of A along with the A minor scale and you'll start to sound like Led Zeppelin!
Quote by CrzyGuitarist93
Let me rephrase the question, and you're probably right, I'm soloing wrong or something.

What are some scales that are commonly used in rock and metal?

Are you playing the right major/pentatonic scale for the key of the song?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Scales don't sound different depending on the kind of sound you're using - theyre exactly the same distorted or clean.. The first thing you need to answer is whether you're soloing in key...you can't really solo in Em pentatonic if your progression is in C major.

The minor pentatonic scale is arguably the most commonly used scale in rockand guitar soloing in general.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by slayerfan_87
Dude E minor is as metal as it get besides the Almighty Harmonic Minor scale . I mean if u listen to a Megadeth or Metallica song there is a good chance the that the solos in it are In E Minor. Examples Enter Sandman , Holy Wars, Fade To Black, Parts of And Justice for all the list goes on. O by the way A Minor is a very popular scale in Hard rock. Players like Jimmy Page and Angus Young , and Jimi Hendrix use it often. You Know it already C major Pentatonic and A Minor are they exact same pattern except the the root notes are obvisously different. Play some barre chords in the key of A along with the A minor scale and you'll start to sound like Led Zeppelin!

Anyway, picking what notes to use isn't just picking a scale and playing randomly. Watch melodic control and you'll see what I mean. If you want to sound better, work on your phrasing and experiment with what notes sound like over what chords and before and after what notes.

And T/S, sounding different in distortion isn't the scales problem, its your technique. I sound crap in distortion too, my cousin reckons that in distortion you have to palm mute the notes. I dunno, my technique sounds like it goes down hill in distortion.
There are a couple of scales you could do like the blues scale even though it is called the blues scale doesn't mean it is just for blues. Natural Minor scales, Minor arpeggios, Harmonic Minor scales and if you were into neo classical metal than you would use scales like phrygian and all sorts of sweep arpeggios. ANYONE THAT WANTS TO JOIN MY GROUP CLICK ON THE LINK http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/shredders/
Quote by demonofthenight

And T/S, sounding different in distortion isn't the scales problem, its your technique. I sound crap in distortion too, my cousin reckons that in distortion you have to palm mute the notes. I dunno, my technique sounds like it goes down hill in distortion.

Yeah, I found that when I started playing. I stuck to playing just clean stuff until I felt my technique was good enough. The extra volume and sensitivity means all the tiniest mistakes are picked up when playing with distortion. Muting and good technique is really important. It's probably the reason why alot of people suggest learning to play the acoustic guitar before you pick up an electric. *Shrug*
Those scales should sound good in distortion because those are the scales that are used in a tons of rock. If you want to spruce up your solos than you would maybe considering learning some theory because you could learn new scales and have more areas of the guitar that you could play. I like to use the following scales in rock or metal: Natural Minor, Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor, Blues Scale, Pentatonic scales, Phrygian scales, Mixolydian scales, Major scales, and dorian scales, most of those in rock you would probably use only power chords because they are not major or Minor. A neat thing that I have learned a while ago is that since scales are played on all 6strings you could instead play them on 5 strings or maybe even 4. For example if you were playing out of the natural minor scale with the root on the e string and were on 5th fret you could start the scale instead on the 12th fret on the a string and you will have a slightly different scale. Also if you use the modes you could do this to them then you will never have to worry were you could play you won't feel limited in where you could play and you will could up with different sounds.
It's all about the phrygian mode or the phrygian major/dominant
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket