Ok, so I am rebuilding this guys Strat for him. I used all the old components but was supposed to fix the input jack (The wires came disconnected) so I used a diagram from the internet to show me how they went on. I put those back on and nothing. Then I looked closer at the diagram and it said to ground from the volume to the bridge, well his was from the middle tone to the bridge, so I changed that. Then it made noise through an amp, but it has a really staticy, loud, buzzing noise. You can barely distinguish a note. Sounds to me like a ground, but Im not sure. Could the capacitor be bad? I checked all other connections and the looked fine. I am supposed to return tommorow, so please give me a quick answer as to what to do to fix it.
I'm not sure that I follow . . .
The wires from the OUTPUT jack disconnected, so you put them back on and you got no sound, and then you continued by switching the ground from the tone to the volume? Well, as long as the rest of the circuit is intact, it doesn't matter which pot the earth comes from.

Are you sure that what you moved was the earth? I fail to see how you got no sound whatsoever before, but when you moved it you got noise.

Course, I have little experience.
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Ok, the wires that came from my jack and onto my pots (Where they attach to teh pot) disconnected. I soldered them back on and nothing. I have tried making better connections and everything, and still nothing. It used to sound pretty amazing until he took the pickguard off and pulled the wires from the pot.

Could the type of solder I use cause this?
Quote by derekwalden_-33
Ok, the wires that came from my jack and onto my pots (Where they attach to teh pot) disconnected. I soldered them back on and nothing. I have tried making better connections and everything, and still nothing. It used to sound pretty amazing until he took the pickguard off and pulled the wires from the pot.

Could the type of solder I use cause this?

Have you tried switching them?

No, as long as you soldered it properly than it shouldn't be a problem. The solder is meant to stick two connectors together, not to serve as a conductor. If the wires were literally pulled off, there could be a break. I'd get going with a multimeter and check for bad connections.
I'm not really sure what you mean. Rephrase?
My friend pulled the wires from the pot connections. I soldered them back on and got a slight connection, with extremely bas signal. I unsoldered and then resoldered and now no connection, but a really bas humming twanging sound. What is my problem?
I can't tell you what your problem is because not only am I far from an expert, but I don't know what you mean by "bas" unless you mean "bass", which isn't actually an adjective, for the record.

Anyway, are you absolutely sure that the problem now is with the guitar and not any of the other equipment? Might as well check your amp and lead before screwing around further.
If they check out, you said you had a schem so check it and make sure every wire is in the right place. If everything is fine, resolder connections and try again. Try on every pup combination with volume and tone pots turned up and down and halfway. I screwed up the wiring on a strat a while back so that the volume turned up ok, but when it got right to the top it cut off . . . no idea how I managed that one, though I was more surprised when I managed to fix it.

If you can hear a note when you play it, but there's lots of noise, fuzz etc so it's hard to make out, it's most likely a grounding problem or a very bad connection I think. Double check your ground and make sure it goes from pot-bridge or trem block. If you get absolutely NO response when you play a note, on any pickup combination or volume/tone level, then the only conclusion I can come to is that either the pickups are faulty or pot(s) are faulty or the pup switch is faulty. You really need a multimeter.
I talked to my dad and hes gonna help me asess the problem, he has access to a multiometer.

And I meant bad instead of bas.
Ahh ok, cool. You'd probably be well to check the ground first with the multimeter, as that's what the problem sounds like. Also, try swapping the two wires on the jack. I just remembered that I had a problem with a strat that sounds like yours that was solved by that.

Best of luck getting it fixed.