Hey guys. I know Carvin is a popular choice here on UG, and I would just like to ask a few questions.

First things first. Is Carvin good for Hardcore music?

Second. Yesterday this half-stack was $699 https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SBR410
but as you see when you visit that link, it is now $719.99

That claims to have the BX600 head, why is it different from the BX600 head when seperate? https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=BX600

Third question: This is my first half stack (always used combos) and I need something bigger for shows and stuff. So..

Power: RMS 8 ohm 275W/ch, 4 ohm 400W/ch, 2ohm 600W/ch, 8 ohms Bridge 800W, 4 ohms Bridge 1200W THD less than .03%

Is this a 275w, 400w, 600w, 800w, or 1200w head?

What determines how many 'ohms' i use?

The cabinet is 800W, 200w-4 x 10's
1) Carvin are alright for most things. Clear, shapeable sound. Very transparent.

2) There's no difference between the two. One has a cabinet, the other doesn't.

3) The cabinet determines what you get. The BR410 is 8 Ohms, so you'll get 275W out of it, I believe.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
1) Carvin are alright for most things. Clear, shapeable sound. Very transparent.

2) There's no difference between the two. One has a cabinet, the other doesn't.

3) The cabinet determines what you get. The BR410 is 8 Ohms, so you'll get 275W out of it, I believe.

If you are running it in dual mono, yes, but if you bridge the two poweramps you'll get 800w out of it.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
It appears Carvin has:

1. Redesigned some of their stuff (cosmetically, at least)
2. They've raised up the price. Though oddly enough, the BX600 head has DROPPED $10 in price. Whatever.

And Carvin should be fine for hardcore. Thats pretty much the only music scene where I live, and one of the bassists uses an older Carvin, sounds pretty sweet.
The stats of the BX600 are "wrong". Those stats are of the BX1200 which, actually, are 2 BX600 power amps with one preamp. The BX600 is just one BX600 power amp with one preamp. Got that? No mono bridging. There's only the one power amp. Nothing to bridge it with. Dig?

So, basically, with an 8 ohm cab, you'll get 275W. With another 8 ohm cab, you'll get 400W. With 2 ohms worth of cabs, 600W.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by metalcore123
Do you think that this will be good enough for small to med size gigs?

Should cut it, dude. It's not THAT much power, but should be enough, and the amount of air the 410's are pushing will definitely add some girth to your tone. However, I recommend you eventually sell the 410 and buy a 4 ohm 410 or 212, and then at a later date (or when you have the money), get yourself a nice 4 ohm 115 or something. Get those 600W as soon as you can.

In conclusion - good enough... for now. If you're lugging a half-stack to a gig, you'll want it to push out a bit more than 275W; that Carvin can.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I'm getting this HS as well...My EMC turned out to be too much trouble for now. What I'm wondering is, I know it'll only put out 225W, but the cab has a sensitivity of 107db. That'll be plenty of volume for most applications won't it? Or will I still need another cab? (getting a 115 eventually anyway, I just want to know)
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at May 19, 2008,