Page 1 of 2
I think that the price that companies ask for 2x12 cabs is totally outrageous. Companies like Engl, Orange and Mesa charge £500/600 for cabs fitted with speakers that would only cost around £100. How do they get away with charging prices like these? The only 2x12 that I have seen that is reasonable is the Framus one which is £220, which is a really good price. I know they have to cover the price of wood, labor and other equipment they use but should they really be costing that much?
If you want an Orange or Mesa cab, you'll pay for and Orange or Mesa. If you want a Crate, you'll pay fo a Crate.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
b-52 makes a 2x12 cabinet that is relatively cheap.

Its all about ease/etc. you make something compact and compromising between the big huge 4x12, you can take advantage of an ignorant public market very easily.

Name brand is also a factor, where as you are buying quality, yet you shouldn't be, since its all CnC cut anyways, and the speakers... well a 5 year old chinese boy vs. an old man at mesa, will probably wire the same quality. then there is the whole...whats under the hood, etc.
fight the power that be
Quote by chase312
If you want an Orange or Mesa cab, you'll pay for and Orange or Mesa. If you want a Crate, you'll pay fo a Crate.

I'd love an Engl, but £440 seems ridiculous. Thats nearly as much as I paid for my Blackmore.
Is there THAT much difference between a Mesa cab that costs £600 and a Harley Benton cab which costs £150, both with v30 speakers?
Quote by david_safc
Is there THAT much difference between a Mesa cab that costs £600 and a Harley Benton cab which costs £150, both with v30 speakers?

Name, build quality, country manufactured (maybe ?), etc.
Keep in mind that design costs come into play with cabs too. Construction and materials vary a lot. You're probably getting pretty well screwed in the UK with Mesa and Orange prices. The orange for one is not out of line here- a little on the expensive side, but compared to lesser quality cabs, not that bad.
Yeah mesa is a total rip. I refuse to buy anything mesa in the UK because they cost like up to three times the amount you guys are paying in America. I'm surprised Engl aren't cheaper seeing as though Engl is a German company.
The quality of the wood, how it's built, how sturdy it is and its dimensions are why they cost so much.

Mesa cabs are very nicely built cabs, but I agree, they're too much in the UK. Here, they're priced appropriately imo.

You get what you pay for, something like a B-52, Harley Benton or Crate won't sound the same as a higher quality cab just because it has the same speakers. And yes, there is a very noticable difference.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Damn this annoys me, can barely afford an expensive cab What about the Framus though? I thought Framus made good quality products.
ok so you have a Marshall 1936 - ok not bad - will do - £300

then my THD - £600 new or £400 on ebay - sounds like 2 Marshall STACKS.

there, question answered.
Does this make a difference? Sure it does!

While some might find the price way too high, but think about it. To start with the speakers are about £150 to start with. After that you need to make the cab itself. And instead of just using wood, they use good wood, they spend their money on selecting GOOD wood that will work great. Secondly comes construction. Building a cab is often more or less something that has to be hand made, at least the mounting and stuff and since you need actual handwork that costs and these guys take their time, they check it all, that costs of course. Then it costs more to have your cabinet built in England or Germany. And last you need to make profit. And thirdly, as one guy said, demand. Even if these cabs are expensive, people buy them, because they are great and that is something that will justify your price, as long as people buy it, well then it's a good price.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Hmmm ok, looks like I won't be playing my Blackmore until a good deal comes up on ebay then
I just bought a Mesa Road King cab for 700 dollars the other day. It was one of my better purchases.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Mesa makes great cabs. The only ones that stand the test of time on the road.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
Mesa makes great cabs. The only ones that stand the test of time on the road.

You can't really say that, unless you've had experience with every single company that makes cabs, and every one of their cabinets.
How good are the orange cabinets? I've found one for £385 brand new, is that a good price? And what are they like weight-wise? I'm only small and I don't really want to be lugging something around thats too heavy.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
I just bought a Mesa Road King cab for 700 dollars the other day. It was one of my better purchases.

i got a rectifier 4x12 for $150 last week, i know the pride you feel
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
i got a rectifier 4x12 for $150 last week, i know the pride you feel

They cost in excess of $2000 over here
I can say that After 16 touring bands with just about every concieveable head and cabinet combination the mesas last. I have junked orange,marshal,ampeg,etc.etc.Mesas are made to last on the road not a doubt in my mind.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by Roc8995
Keep in mind that design costs come into play with cabs too. Construction and materials vary a lot. You're probably getting pretty well screwed in the UK with Mesa and Orange prices. The orange for one is not out of line here- a little on the expensive side, but compared to lesser quality cabs, not that bad.

i thought orange were british?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by modernp
I can say that After 16 touring bands with just about every concieveable head and cabinet combination the mesas last. I have junked orange,marshal,ampeg,etc.etc.Mesas are made to last on the road not a doubt in my mind.

Yeah I'm not disputing the fact that they are made to last, but I'm sure other cabs do just as good of a job, some even better maybe
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought orange were british?

You stand very much correct and actually in the UK they have better prices than the US.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Like anything, more money can get you a name, build quality, resale value...a cab is more than a box with speakers.
Quote by Gabel
You stand very much correct and actually in the UK they have better prices than the US.

Quote by timi_hendrix
Score one for us

for once ¬__¬

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Dave, you seem highly educated on amps and stuff, what is your take on this whole situation? Do you think that the more expensive cabs are so much better than the cheaper Framus cabs, and if so, what do you personally think is the best?
i haven't tried the framus cabs, that's the problem.

i wouldn't necessarily say i'm educated about amps etc. either, it's more what i've picked up along the way...

i'd say mesa stuff probably is overpriced, in the UK. what i normally do to find out if something is good value or not is to see how much it goes for in its country of origin. It's hard to get mesa prices (as they purposely keep them in the dark in the USA), but from talking to people on forums from the states, you can get prices- they seem to generally be half as expensive, if not even less, in the USA. Which means, to me, that mesa is extremely overpriced here. It's not like they're shipping out twice as good stuff for the UK market...

on the other hand, dear cabs do tend to be made with better materials, which will sound better. I guess, a good rule of thumb is that just because something's dearer doesn't mean it's better, but equally well just because something is cheaper doesn't mean it's better value (or that the more expensive item is overpriced). You really need to judge everything on its merits to be honest... which is hard to do when you can't get to try everything...

that was a lot of help, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, thanks for the input. I'm just going to wait for something on ebay. I've seen some mesa products go for surprisingly cheap on there, so hopefully I will be able to snag a good conditioned Engl/Mesa for a pretty good price.
You could try getting a used Marshall 1960A or B off eBay, there are always a whole load of them up for sale, and they normally go for around £200 - 250.

The only problem is most of the sellers want you to collect the cab from them, since it's large and hard to transport, so you will need to find one that is willing to ship the cab or allow you to arrange a courier, or find one that is nearby to you so you can pick it up.
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Quote by Persata
You could try getting a used Marshall 1960A or B off eBay, there are always a whole load of them up for sale, and they normally go for around £200 - 250.

The only problem is most of the sellers want you to collect the cab from them, since it's large and hard to transport, so you will need to find one that is willing to ship the cab or allow you to arrange a courier, or find one that is nearby to you so you can pick it up.

G12T75 Celestions in them :S By the way, does anyone know how the celsetion v30 and v60 differ?
Quote by david_safc
Dave, you seem highly educated on amps and stuff, what is your take on this whole situation? Do you think that the more expensive cabs are so much better than the cheaper Framus cabs, and if so, what do you personally think is the best?

Framus Cabs are crazy nice. I wanted to get the Dragon 4x12 to go with my Cobra Top, but they were $1,000, opposed to the $500 I payed for my Randall.

^Not positive, but my guess would be the wattage that each could handle.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by david_safc
G12T75 Celestions in them :S By the way, does anyone know how the celsetion v30 and v60 differ?

you mean in the engl cabs? they're just different speakers, i think. i think the vintage 30 is meant to be the "better" one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by david_safc
G12T75 Celestions in them :S

What's wrong with those?
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Quote by Persata
What's wrong with those?

I personally don't like em that much. I've heard that v60s are just bassier than v30s. Does that mean that they sound better for metal/hard rock? I've found a pretty nice deal on a decent 2x12 with v30s but I'm pretty hesitant, don't know if I should go for a cab with v60s now.
Quote by david_safc
I personally don't like em that much. I've heard that v60s are just bassier than v30s. Does that mean that they sound better for metal/hard rock? I've found a pretty nice deal on a decent 2x12 with v30s but I'm pretty hesitant, don't know if I should go for a cab with v60s now.

are you kidding? the v30 is THE METAL speaker. sooooooooooooooo many metal bands rely on that overdriven v30 for their tone and they swear by it. get the one with v30's as long as its an oversized 2x12, bc a small 2x12 will lack some bass response.
Well Enough Alone
Damn I'm an idiot, I missed out on a Bogner oversized 2x12 on ebay brand new for £390.
Page 1 of 2