How can you tell if the sound you like (or dislike) is coming from the wood the bass is made of or the pickups and the electronics? How would you know which pickup(s) to buy if you want to replace your current ones?
electronics make the sound. without them, you hear nothing.

the wood just affects the tone and sustain a bit, and feel a lot.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
wood shapes the tone of the strings
if you dont like the tone of a certain bass a pickchange can do the trick
or maybe new strings if you want a mor bright tone
or it could be the amp
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Woods (and other hardwear) are about 50% of the tone, electronic are about 50% (including strings).

Some pickup types influence this. Passive single coils let the woods shine through. Active humbuckers are very distinctive not matter what the wood.

However, the wood is vital to the tone. The strings vibration makes the whole bass resonate. The woods characteristics control how these vibrations are fed back into the strings, producing the characteristic overtones of the different woods.

The best example of how much it matters is the Warwick Corvettes. The Ash boodied basses are incredibly bright, with a very high mid growl.The bubinga bodied basses have one of the heaviest (but not muddy in the slightest) low end of any bass I have ever tried.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Woods (and other hardwear) are about 50% of the tone, electronic are about 50% (including strings).

Some pickup types influence this. Passive single coils let the woods shine through. Active humbuckers are very distinctive not matter what the wood.

However, the wood is vital to the tone. The strings vibration makes the whole bass resonate. The woods characteristics control how these vibrations are fed back into the strings, producing the characteristic overtones of the different woods.

The best example of how much it matters is the Warwick Corvettes. The Ash boodied basses are incredibly bright, with a very high mid growl.The bubinga bodied basses have one of the heaviest (but not muddy in the slightest) low end of any bass I have ever tried.

Thanks for the info.

But do both Corvettes have the same electronics and other features? or do they have changes in them other than the wood type.
Quote by Waters?
Thanks for the info.

But do both Corvettes have the same electronics and other features? or do they have changes in them other than the wood type.

Well, both models can come in full active, active preamp/passive pup, active pup/passive controls and fully passive models. All the active preamps can be 2 or 3 band.

But they can differ only on body wood type.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1