I know there are advertisers on the site, but that can't really be the reason, can it?
Because it's a private website and it was decided that the posts wanted to be kept at a certain level of harshness. If you think about it UG is PG 13 and lots of parents wouldn't like it if they're kids were exposed to that on such a big website.
Because people of all ages want to learn the guitar, and since this is a guitar resource for people of all ages, this is your answer.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
I think a better question is, why aren't people punished for bypassing the curse filter?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by yschmid
I know there are advertisers on the site, but that can't really be the reason, can it?
I don't believe it is.

1 - The autocensor is a function available to all boards using the vB forums programming.

2 - UG chose to enable it.

3 - There are no rules against coarse language, per se.

4 - There ARE rules against flaming and other unacceptable content.

5 - Warnings/bans are issued for breaking those rules.

6 - You may use words like fuck, shit, or cock. But be careful HOW you use them.

7 - Those unable to bypass the autocensor probably aren't smart enough to use discretion.

/thread
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by tpot06
Because people of all ages want to learn the guitar, and since this is a guitar resource for people of all ages, this is your answer.

+1, totally agree. You gotta keep it somewhat clean.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by uk.mace
cos its a family site fool
yep, with a drug thread and people like kensai and syk, and the really nice understanding mods, definantly a family site.
Quote by demonofthenight
yep, with a drug thread and people like kensai and syk, and the really nice understanding mods, definantly a family site.

Also, some things are censored because people are tired of seeing it, like the buttsecks meme.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

Also, some things are censored because people are tired of seeing it, like the buttsecks meme.

Buttsecks ruled!
Well since the average UGer is around the age where they start swearing all the time and think it makes them sound really big, I like to think it's done just to piss them off.